• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Identification/Verification from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

mjohnson0728

We have done our analysis but would like to confirm our findings. These birds were seen just north of Jaco beach.

Sorry for the poor quality photos.

#1 Southern Beardless Tyrannulet.jpg
#2 Louisiana Thrush.jpg
#3 Panama Flycatcher.jpg
#4 Lesser Swallow-tailed Swift.jpg

Many thanks again.

Attachments

• Southern Beardless Tyrannulet.jpg
    Southern Beardless Tyrannulet.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Louisiana Thrush.jpg
    Louisiana Thrush.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Panama Flycatcher.jpg
    Panama Flycatcher.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Lesser Swallow-tailed Swift.jpg
    Lesser Swallow-tailed Swift.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
1) Agree that this is one of the Beardless - tyrannulets, but can't say which from this view. I suppose Jaco may be out of range for Northern, I'm not sure though.

2) I suspect it is a Louisiana, based on the extent of the super. behind the eye, but don't really think you can be sure from this image.

3)??????????????????????????????????????
Looks like a flycatcher, all right, but not like any I can see in my Stiles & Skutch. Super-yellow TK?

4) Yes, very probably.

Thank you all for the updates.
We though it may be a Panama Flycatcher based on Stiles & Skutch that it lacks rufous in the wings and tail.

Michael

1 looks like a pewee to me (too long winged and long tailed for a Beardless Tyrannulet). I'd hesitate to say which species though.

I'd go for Tropical Kingbird on 3 - just an unusual angle.

After looking at more photos and reading the description in the field guides we have decided to go with the Tropical Pewee.

Thank you all once again for helping identify these birds.

Yes, probably a pewee for 1, maybe Louisiana for 2 but can't say for sure from the photo, agree on TK for 3, but White-collared Swift for 4 because it has a white collar as opposed to white throat of Lesser Swallow-tailed, forked tail instead of deeply forked tail or pointed tail when held shut of Lesser Swallow-tailed, and very long wings look better for White-collared.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back