• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - a few identification issues ! (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
I'd really appreciate some help in identifying the birds in the photos below, mainly as a result of poor quality record shots. I've split over 3 posts by location. The rest of my decent photos from the trip are here Birds - Costa Rica - Feb 2022 and if you happen to visit, please let me know if I got any wrong !

Thanks
Tony

The first batch are from Carara NP, near Tarcoles.
1 - Not sure - warbler ?
2&3 - a hummingbird. Did not get any decent shots but looks like a bluish/greenish back and a very long shape with thin tail when flying. Can it be identified from these limited photos ?
4 - looks like a female manikin ? However none in my book have a red chin/bib ?? Is that a fleck of blue just appearing on the cap...maybe an immature ? My guide was baffled and couldn't identify !

Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0027 v3.jpgCarara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0055 v2.jpgCarara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0056 v2.jpgCarara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0064 v2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd appreciate some help in identifying the birds in the photos below, mainly as a result of poor quality record shots. I've split over 3 posts by location. The rest of my holiday photos are here Birds - Costa Rica - Feb 2022 and if you happen to visit, plaese let me know if I got any wrong !

Thanks
Tony

1 - Not sure
2&3 - a hummingbird. Did not get any decent shots but looks like a bluish back and a very long shape with thin tail when flying. Can it be identified from these limited photos ?
4 - looks like a female manikin ? However none in my book have a red chin/bib ?? Is that a fleck of blue just appearing on the cap...maybe an immature ?

View attachment 1432098View attachment 1432099View attachment 1432100View attachment 1432101
The next batch are from Osa Peninsular.

5 - ?
6 - sorry very poor quality - very long beak ?
7 - warbler ? other photos showed it had a white eye-ring, not too clear in this photo
8&9 - warbler ?

El Remanso Hotel, Osa Peninsular, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0039 v2.jpgEl Remanso Hotel, Osa Peninsular, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0068 v2.jpgEl Remanso Hotel, Osa Peninsular, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0070 v2.jpgEl Remanso Hotel, Osa Peninsular, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0216 v2.jpgEl Remanso Hotel, Osa Peninsular, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0217 v2.jpg

I'd really appreciate some help in identifying the birds in the photos below, mainly as a result of poor quality record shots. I've split over 3 posts by location. The rest of my decent photos from the trip are here Birds - Costa Rica - Feb 2022 and if you happen to visit, please let me know if I got any wrong !

Thanks
Tony

1 - Not sure - warbler ?
2&3 - a hummingbird. Did not get any decent shots but looks like a bluish/greenish back and a very long shape with thin tail when flying. Can it be identified from these limited photos ?
4 - looks like a female manikin ? However none in my book have a red chin/bib ?? Is that a fleck of blue just appearing on the cap...maybe an immature ? My guide was baffled and couldn't identify !

View attachment 1432098View attachment 1432099View attachment 1432100View attachment 1432101
1 looks like Greenish Elaenia
2/3 is Purple-crowned Fairy
4 is a mystery to me, I'll have to circle back later.

4 is reminiscent of the birds in this link, same site too. Doesn't quite look like the same species though, I wonder if they've both had their throats stained from the same food source?

4 is reminiscent of the birds in this link, same site too. Doesn't quite look like the same species though, I wonder if they've both had their throats stained from the same food source?
Thanks for the advice. I had a few more photos of this particular bird which was moving around a fallen log on the forest floor if that helps anyone with identification ?? There do seem to be a few blue flecks on the head ???

Attachments

• Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0061 v2.jpg
    Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0061 v2.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 11
  • Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0071 v2.jpg
    Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0071 v2.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0074 v2.jpg
    Carara NP, Tarcoles, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0074 v2.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 11
5 possibly Red-capped Manakin
6 possibly female Green Honeycreeper
7 Chestnut-sided Warbler
8/9 Tennessee Warbler
Is 7 definitely a CS warbler ? Book pictures don't show the black splodges on the back going right down to the tail and the back looks a very dark olive green ?

Sorry, one more. Presumably this can only be a female blue dacnis (blue head, green body) though it looks nothing like the image in the book :) ? Taken at CATIE, Turrialba.

Attachments

• CATIE, Turrialba, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0117 v2.jpg
    CATIE, Turrialba, Costa Rica 2-2022 #_0117 v2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back