• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4500 fault ... again!!! (1 Viewer)

RonClark28

Hiya guys n gals

Just thought I'd mention that yet again my Nikon 4500 has decided it doesn't wnat to play and with the same fault too. It's only been 6 months since it was last sent back and I'm hoping it isn't going to be an on-going repetative fault. What happens is that when it's switch on it won't go through its normal start-up and only makes 'whirring/cluncking' sound. The only way of stopping it is to remove the battery. As per normal in this sort of situation, it had to go while Jan and I were on holiday in Scotland and with 3 days left before returning home.

Ah wel ... ... ...

I'd be wary of this type of 'fault'. Several digital cameras seem to be susceptible - not just the Nikons. I have only ever had a problem once with my Nikon CP4500 and switching off and removing the battery and starting up again cured the problem.

I have two Olympus cameras which occasionally suffer the same sort of issue but after three years now they are still going strong. I sometmes wonder if it's more a battery ratrher than camera problem as regards the Olympus they have gone from 1300 to 2300. 1300 -2100 work perfectly fine and it's only the 2300 when the problems occur.

Of course the Nikon with it's patent battery assuming you aren't using one of the independent brands is another issue.

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little disconcerted to hear that other 4500 users are having the same fault with their cameras. When it was returned last time the report said it was something to do with the zoom mechanism. I can't find the paper work that came back with it. I would hope that if it is a common fault that Nikon would be aware of it but as to replacing cameras, if so many have the same fault then that is going to cost them an arm and a leg and I can't see it happening.

As regards batteries ... I have three. One is the original one that came with camera, and t'ther two are Jessops own brand compats and they all seem to work OK> I even tried changing the battery when the fault first came about 6 months ago and it didn't make any difference.

Whatever ... when it comes back I'll see what the paper work says again and take it from there.

Ron

RonClark28 said:
Hi guys
...the same fault then that is going to cost them an arm and a leg and I can't see it happening.

Ron
Nikon make huge profits and have done so over very many years. I doubt this would cost them even a single shaving off a fingernail if they chose to sort it out. If it is a common fault, it's clearly a manufacturing or design fault and as such should be properly addressed.

If it happens again, I would shout the loudest until I got a replacement! Make a fuss! That's the trouble with us lot, we don't make enough fuss when things go wrong. Hope it works out OK for you.

Mine has done the same thing, and is currently at Nikon Canada being repaired. That's part of the reason I have not been posting any digiscoped pics to the Galleries recently. I have had it for 18 months. They said that the warranty only lasted 1 year, but in May 2003 they extended it to 2 years. As I bought mine in April they refused to cover it under warranty, so I'll be paying over $C250 for the repair. It's still cheaper than a replacement camera, but it shouldn't happen with an expensive piece of equipment. Luckily my d70 is currently OK, and I'm using it a lot (again, see the Galleries).

Richard

Just reading this, and my 4500 has come down with same fault today. I'm well out of warranty and $C250 is not happy reading

I had this fault and sent it to broimley camera repairs. They turned it around quickly (replaced the lens mechanism or similar) but it must have been bumped in the post and it still had the same problem (I think the problem seems to be caused by small bumps). The second time they did it they got a new version of the lens mechanism which seemed to do the trick - I think later manufactured 4500s are less likely to have the fault as they used the upgraded lens mechanism.

As some 4500s seemed to be liable to a fault when sold due to the poor initial l;ens mechanism a buyer might have a case to have them pay for the repair even outside of warranty (at least I think so under UK law).

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back