• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ipaq/other PDA for use with wifi (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm considering getting a PDA to use partly as an organiser (I really do need get more organised) but also to use for wifi web access. I sometimes want to check web stuff when out and about (often at friends houses) but don't want to lug my laptop with me. My mobile has wifi and works well enough but the screen is tiny. I was looking at the Ipaq 114 (cheap and chearful one) so wondered if anyone had used one ro had advice on other models to look at.

I'm considering getting a PDA to use partly as an organiser (I really do need get more organised) but also to use for wifi web access. I sometimes want to check web stuff when out and about (often at friends houses) but don't want to lug my laptop with me. My mobile has wifi and works well enough but the screen is tiny. I was looking at the Ipaq 114 (cheap and chearful one) so wondered if anyone had used one ro had advice on other models to look at.

I have a series HP 2200 model had it for a few years.I have collins bird guides on it also bird recorder for sightings and other bits and bobs. Using Bluetooth from my phone I can connect to the web,also I use a Connect-plus low power wi fi card 128mb.which I can use to pick up wi fi signals such as places like Macdonalds which give free connections to the web. It will also store photos and you can take out your camera CD card and view the pictures that you have just taken.Personally I think it a superb piece of kit.

POP

I guess it depends on your definition of too small. Have you looked at the XV6800 and 6900? I like my 6700 and it has a decent screen size. Has it all, phone, wifi, mp3 player, office apps, syncs with exchange server, etc. I have also burned my own custom ROM's including WM6. Very nice.

Regards,

Gary

Hi Pete,

Have you thought about getting a Netbook? They are quite a bit bigger than a PDA but have many advantages - especially the big screen.

I know what you mean about the screen on the mobile phone. Mine's just about good enough for things like Birdguides. For anything else I like to use my Acer Aspire One.

Hi Pete,

Have you thought about getting a Netbook? They are quite a bit bigger than a PDA but have many advantages - especially the big screen.

I know what you mean about the screen on the mobile phone. Mine's just about good enough for things like Birdguides. For anything else I like to use my Acer Aspire One.

I've been looking at these netbooks recently, I toyed with picking up an Asus (cheap and chearful) but there seem to be lots of wifi problems with them. Does the wifi work well on your Acer? I am now looking at the Acers but can't decide if going for one with a big HD or a small SSD is the better option...

I've been looking at these netbooks recently, I toyed with picking up an Asus (cheap and chearful) but there seem to be lots of wifi problems with them. Does the wifi work well on your Acer?
No problems with WiFi on my Acer Aspire One. I went for the one with a proper hard disk, so I can use it for photo storage when away on hols abroad.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back