• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to upgrade to (2 Viewers)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'm the lucky recipient of around £1000 and want/need to upgrade my computer.

For years I've had laptops which seem to only last about 4-5 years, whereas people with desk tops seem to have them forever and can easily upgrade them. Would there be a reason why I can't get longer life from a lappie?

Trouble is I live in a 1 bedroom flat so am a bit tight for space but think, with a bit of re-organisation I might be able to cope with one. But what to get?

Most of my screen time is browsing BF, the Gallery and editing Opus. Spreadsheets (LibreOffice), Emails, on-line banking etc and very basic editing of my own pictures (Paint.net, and FastStone).

With that in mind, what sort of computer should I be looking at? I've looked on the web of course, but the techie stuff just means nothing to me. I use an external hard drive for storing pictures and important stuff, Prefer to use a mouse and, as a 10 finger typist like a decent keyboard.

It seems the advertised prices don't include the screen or keyboard.... rather gave up exploring at that point my old brain was becoming addled LOL!

Or should I continue with laptops and will spending more than my previous £400 ish get me a longer lasting one? I like lots of usb ports available and a DVD/CD drive.

If you want to use a full size keyboard and mouse then getting a desktop computer makes sense. But only if you have space to leave it out, the beauty of a laptop is that you can put it away. Bigger, 17" laptops will have a better keyboard than more compact ones.

You do get what you pay for, a £600 computer will give you better longevity than a £400 one.

One thing to bear in mind is that any new Windows system will be Windows 11, you will have to adjust!

Thanks for that Mono. As I live on my own I don't generally put the laptop away. I'd have to consider something in addition if/when I ever get away on holiday again, but that's for further down the line if I went the desktop route.

Going the d/top route I'd no longer be bothered with the darn touchpad, which for some reason I now cannot switch off, so had to cover it with cardboard to stop the cursor spinning around all over the place LOL. There's so much wasted space in order to accommodate the touchpad.

I see there's some laptops for sale around the £1k mark (+) are they really worth the money for me I wonder?

There are some small desktops that may be something worth cheeking?
From the description of your use of computers, you certainly don't need the state of the art, so from the same amount, you get better in desktop.

Regarding other hardware like external keyboards, screens/displays that you need for a desktop, I only have a laptop, but still use them all the time, specially for work, so at the end, I am now answering this thread from my laptop, using an external mechanical keyboard while watching BirdForum in a external screen.
cheers

@Cettia Thanks for your input.

I think I'd get too confused with having two screens... I get mixed up with What'sApp at times, replying to the wrong person when I've a few people trying to talk to me at the same time LOL.

@Cettia Thanks for your input.

I think I'd get too confused with having two screens... I get mixed up with What'sApp at times, replying to the wrong person when I've a few people trying to talk to me at the same time LOL.
No, because the two screens are connected, so you freely move between them with your mouse/pad cursor. Just go out, get a cheap one, test, and if don't like put it back to the store and get refund, or, if you like, maybe do the same but for upgrading. Trust me, it is a life changer, and for what you say, you are more like my mum/dad, and they love extra screen now after saying it was so complex and not worth... :)

I'll try to show you an example latter, now I have celebration party :p

No, because the two screens are connected, so you freely move between them with your mouse/pad cursor. Just go out, get a cheap one, test, and if don't like put it back to the store and get refund, or, if you like, maybe do the same but for upgrading. Trust me, it is a life changer, and for what you say, you are more like my mum/dad, and they love extra screen now after saying it was so complex and not worth... :)

I'll try to show you an example latter, now I have celebration party :p
Do enjoy your party Cettia. An awful long time since I've been to one!!!

You can go to a Best Buy or similar and see the options. I've been pretty loyal to Dell for many years and their latest offerings are aesthetically much like Apple, which I also like. Very slim, bezel-less, and overall well made. In general, knowing that you are interested in images etc. I would recommend a fast processer - i7 - and a large'ish SSD (solid state drive). Do you edit photos? If so these are essential. ALso, if you can swing it, a 17" LCD is much nicer, tho these days external displays are relatively inexpensive. I run a large display attached to laptop that way. If so, get the smaller 15" as it's a lot lighter and more fun to move around house or when travelling. At least in my case the external monitor and keybd were really plug-and-play. No setup and it's seamless. Pick up a cordless mouse/keyboard for cheap and never look back!

I use a laptop closed, with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and screen attached by hdmi. Works fine for general stuff (like stuff I do for work), but would likely struggle with say Photoshop….depends on your usage requirements - not sure if laptops are more commonplace, so could be just as good for general use nowadays.

I can’t get on with a little laptop screen with a main screen, so always use the laptop lid closed once turned on - no different to a desktop once started up.

I used to CAD and do rendering/modelling etc. frequently for a living. I also use PS, and other graphic software frequently. I used to require a 'workstation' with dedicated graphics card etc. and big fans, power supply... My new i7 - admittedly maxxed out and with lots of RAM and on-board graphics capability - does it all w/out a glitch. Everything is faster - the firewire, SSD, etc. But we digress... OP is not intending to push the envelope. But I can't imagine going back to a workstation ever again. I'm currently working on a big screen with conventional keyboard and mouse. Seamlessly. But if I want to take laptop to the deck, or on-the-road, I just close the cover and off we go...

i used a few laptops for years but ended getting fed up with them.......slow, windows just slows down with age

earlier last year i bought a i-mac for the first time 2nd hand from cex ( a fellow member put me on to them) the one i got was a 21.5 '' screen and wireless keyboard and mouse and like you live in a one bedroom flat, the i mac is perfect for me no cables apart from the power cable which is hidden, i have a little desk in the corner, for me its perfect and no hassle, never slowed down and cheap at £576

It's getting harder to find decent desktops these days and you may not find them that much cheaper. A wireless keyboard, separate monitor and wireless mouse transforms a laptop. For your needs I would think around £500 should get you the laptop (I find 15.6 the sweet spot in terms of portability but reasonable screen and keyboard size if using unattached), and the extras aren't that expensive. 5yrs is probably about average lifespan.

If you are a gamer or doing hard image editing, a performant desktop is maybe les $$$.
If not, I think a laptop is much convenient.
If you buy a laptop, you can choose an external monitor as you like, eventually later.
In some laptops one can add memory or a second SSD.
As I understand, no less than 8 GB of RAM (memory) and a SSD of 256 GB (but no less than 128 GB) can be OK.

I was using home assembled desktops, selecting only proved performant components. One such PC was good for 10 years, I updated it with new memory and a big SSD. Also, when the hardware evolve, I put $$$ in new type of hardware I needed..
The main difficulty was the compatibility with new versions of Windows or another software. The PC can be functional, but obsolete.
I changed for 14-15" laptops, ready to do a change each 5 years. No $$$ for hardware update, compatibility assured with new software.
I have a laptop Dell for my personal activities and another Dell laptop for work.

My selection for me:
It has Backlit Keyboard, verry good resolution for 14" 1920 x 1080, a diversity of connectors. And Windows 10. Price before VAT:£639.00
I do not know the vendors in UK, maybe other vendor have better prices.

@Ted Y.

No, I'm not really a gamer. Patience (free ones) is about my limit LOL.

I really only do basic photo editing: adjust levels, contrast, re-size and put some text and a border on.... this is about my limit of understanding of what I can do: One of the cutest of finches So I don't need high-powered expensive Photoshop etc. Paint.net is free and does all that.

I've no idea of what specs I need.... and what does SSD mean please?

@Ted Y.

I really only do basic photo editing: adjust levels, contrast, re-size and put some text and a border on.... this is about my limit of understanding of what I can do: One of the cutest of finches So I don't need high-powered expensive Photoshop etc. Paint.net is free and does all that.

SSD = solid state drive - they're faster than the traditional style spinning magnetic disc harddrives. For your needs I wouldn't worry too much - if you're doing heavy photo manipulation with full Photoshop they make a big difference, but they're not essential if you're only doing basic photo manipulation.

@Ted Y.

Don't think about it, ssd are the standard for new laptop... they just load faster the software...

I like lots of usb ports available and a DVD/CD drive.
For lots of usb ports, one can use a USB hub:
A lot of models on Amazon UK.

DVD/CD drive is external, USB connected. Also on Amazon.
Windows has an antivirus, included in price. If more is needed, for ££, Sophos (made in UK) is a good one. Not the only one.
I use an extenal SSD for my files, nothing is stored on my laptop. And another SSD as a backup of the first.

For lots of usb ports, one can use a USB hub:
A lot of models on Amazon UK.

DVD/CD drive is external, USB connected. Also on Amazon.
Windows has an antivirus, included in price. If more is needed, for ££, Sophos (made in UK) is a good one. Not the only one.
I use an extenal SSD for my files, nothing is stored on my laptop. And another SSD as a backup of the first.

Thanks Ted. Exploring that lot.

I have had hubs in the past, but they all ended up going faulty, dropping the connection, which was a bit frustrating. Maybe new ones are a bit more reliable?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back