• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LP-E6 battery replacement (1 Viewer)

Leo S

United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just got myself a 70D and need a spare battery. Can anyone recommend a reliable 3rd party replacement? In the past I've bought replacement/3rd party Canon batteries, and they've always been terrible at holding any charge, so I'm hoping to avoid the worst this time round if possible.

TIA for any help.
Leo

Thanks Steve,

However, I've used 7dayshop in the past (I love it for most things) and the replacement Canon batts have always been a disappointment!

Leo

I have been recommended to get these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003P58MHA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't comment on their performance as I am currently waiting for them to arrive!

Do you have a battery grip? The reason that I ask is that I am finding that Sanyo Eneloop AA NIMH batteries are working rather well in my 7D2, certainly lasting a fair bit longer than the supplied LP-E6N. These are quite old cells (5yrs +) so I was quite surprised at how well they perform.

For my 7D Mk II, I bought a "For LP-E6" replacement from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BAXXTAR-PR...&qid=1462613666&sr=8-7&keywords=lp-e6+battery

It claims 2000mAh, charges in my Canon charger and seems to work well. After a full charge, it doesn't register as 100% when interrogated by the camera. It has a bright red case - which was a factor in my choice and easy to find in my camera bag. I bought it in a hurry after I drained the original Canon LP-E6N after leaving the GPS on...

Thanks for the replies and links guys!

I was toying with the idea of getting a battery grip, but I think I'll just stick to the LP-E6 replacement as I've already gone over my budget buying the 70D... usually I wait till a body is at least 4-5 years old before I buy!

Perhaps if I can find a cheap one on fleabay...

Back when a 7D was my primary camera, I ended up with a collection of Hahnel's equivalents. Individually they're not as good (1650mAh vs 1800mAh) but a twin-pack from WEX is less than the cost of a single Canon. Certainly a pair of them in my grip rarely gave me less than a days worth of shooting — if you can recharge overnight those extra 300mAh that the Canons would give is somewhat redundant.

Exactly. While the Canons are very good, I don't think they are worth the premium. I'd rather pay half the price and get 80% of the performance, although if I was earning money from photography I'd be more willing to pay the premium for certain things like batts.

Absolutely Nothing - I just object to Canon's prices for many of their accessories. Forget about sophisticated batteries (where safety and design must play a part), and consider Canon's prices for a replacement lens hood for one of their Big White lenses! Over £629 at the time of posting.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...match=&plid=&gclid=cp7t7zlszcwcfc0y0wod654nzw

Why do Canon do this? It is ridiculously over-priced as is a lot of their stuff. £153 for a car charger for their batteries being a great example. I bought a great one for £5.99. Their cameras, and many of their lenses, are actually reasonably priced but the accessories are just stupidly priced encouraging people to buy third party. I have wouldn't dream of buying a Canon battery and have been happy with the third party ones that I've bought.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back