• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drawings from Catherine Hamilton (1 Viewer)

Hi Catherine.
I'm blown away by these owls! Simply superb, and in b and too!
70 days on the road birding? Now that does sound appealing, but I bet it's darn hard work, though. I've just though of something: Mr. Boland, you have been requested to spend 70 days in Kazakhstan searching out birds to sketch with all expenses included. Sorry, I'm fantasizing.

Russ

Hello, to anyone who might remember me! I have been in Belize, and then Costa Rica; hence no posting. Thought I would put a couple of new things here.

While looking for ostensibly more exciting birds in those two countries, I found myself reluctantly charmed by the parrots that hung around our lodges. I spent a couple of siesta hours making some drawings of Brown-hoodeds; here are some quick studies and a larger work in-progress.

Now onto having a browse through recent threads...

Attachments

• bhop_01.jpg
    bhop_01.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 89
  • bhop_02.jpg
    bhop_02.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 74
  • bhop_03.jpg
    bhop_03.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 76
It's interesting that these get freer and more luminescent as you go from 1 to 3. Are they shown in chronological order? As you might have guessed I particularly like the third.

It's interesting that these get freer and more luminescent as you go from 1 to 3. Are they shown in chronological order?.

Hi Ken - yup, they are in chronological order. There's also a size difference - the first two are c. 5 or 6", the last is 14+"... I'm hoping to keep the looseness in the last one while finishing it up - no mean feat for me!

General question - I'm working on some of the weirdness in the last one - I wanted to keep the top bird painted in very pale colors, but its scale is a little larger than the more developed bird. I thought this might be interesting, but in reality it just looks weird to me! Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Catherine

General question - I'm working on some of the weirdness in the last one - I wanted to keep the top bird painted in very pale colors, but its scale is a little larger than the more developed bird. I thought this might be interesting, but in reality it just looks weird to me! Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Catherine

These are the type of questions that get me in trouble when looking at my own work, questions and such that only I may see;) I hadn't noticed but now that you mention it I see the top bird looks a bit larger as you say. It's really not enough to bother me. If I were to do anything to try to pull it together and make the top bird seem less different than the more developed one I might try just a hint, actually just a line, of dark brown accent on the upper bird. Not so much to take away from the paler colors but maybe just enough to tie it in more with the more developed bird. Maybe with that even the most picky of viewers wouldn't notice the slight difference in scale?

It will be interesting to see what others think. I wouldn't have noticed it though if you hadn't said anything..

Hi Catherine,
I love these pretty pollies. I'm not really a parrot fan but these are oozing with life and character. Stunningly good stuff.

Love to see more.

Russ

Hmm... It's a bit if a conundrum isn't it. The smaller bird has more tonal solidity which brings it forward but the bigger bird comes forward because of perspective.

I think you're right in so far as this could leave the viewer slightly uncomfortable with what they're seeing, although I don't think most would be able to put their finger on precisely why.

It will probably be one of those things that will bug you more than anyone else and you'll end up with one of two things; Either you'll elect to carry on with the initial plan and just live with any awkwardness, knowing that you notice it more than others, or you'll decide to lessen the effect by beefing up the tones of the bigger bird and be left with the niggle that it wasn't quite as you intended. Either way the birds are so expertly drawn and rendered that they will remain beautiful whatever you decide.

MIke

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back