• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (11 Viewers)

You manage such tremdous energy in your paintings Ed, remarkable stuff. Also there is a swirling dynamic effect from your brush strokes that pulls you into the painting. The stork painting is a top class Ed, very clever perspective and wonderful colour....

When is the SWLA deadline Tim?

Hi Alan;
http://www.mallgalleries.org.uk/index.php?pid=169
You would have to get the painting(s) there on these days - unfortunately you've missed the 'Overseas' category date, where you could have sent digital images for consideration. Best of luck if you enter - and to all.

Last edited:
- and still in time for the SWLA!

OK OK - I can take a hint....the stork doesn't make the trip (too obviously a Threlfall wannabee) but I have had a little trip to the framers over the weekend and have a strategy (frames should be not too showy, a little bit of bare wood I think)

Well I haven't created much lately but I did drop into my father's workshop over the weekend and he seems to be keeping busy- pheasant work in progress attached. There seem to be six pots of gentleman's relish and a small bottle of chardonnay visible on the worktop, but he tells me these are for paint mixing rather than handy refreshment.

beautiful Ed, and I love your artwork!

You manage such tremdous energy in your paintings Ed, remarkable stuff. Also there is a swirling dynamic effect from your brush strokes that pulls you into the painting. The stork painting is a top class Ed, very clever perspective and wonderful colour....

Yes, you have your own unique method of portraying what you see. This one even more than others I've seen I think pulls you into a vortex before settling on the stork.

Fantastic enery, zap and buzz in your work, as always. Can't wait to see them on the walls at SWALA (and they will be there!).

Mike

the stork just made me whoop with delight!

what a nice thought- the black stork represents a minilandmark in that it actually proceeeded in three logical (to me) stages as per below and turned out as I expected for once- I managed to finish it off over weekend with addition of a glint of disturbed water around its feet

Attachments

• 550 DSC_1324.jpg
    550 DSC_1324.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 550DSC_1325.jpg
    550DSC_1325.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 550final balckstorkDSC_1348 copy.jpg
    550final balckstorkDSC_1348 copy.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 39
...but back to bad habits since- took a run at the Masked Shrike yesterday, left it to dry a bit today whilst I was at work and the returned home to give it the hot water and knife scrapey treatment: now it might be allowed to proceed to the bird bit

Attachments

• DSC_1356.JPG
    DSC_1356.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 45
great to see those stages on the stork, and the end result is fantastic....broken bits of color and your unique paint stroke send it over the top

what a nice thought- the black stork represents a minilandmark in that it actually proceeeded in three logical (to me) stages as per below and turned out as I expected for once- I managed to finish it off over weekend with addition of a glint of disturbed water around its feet

Congratulations on getting what you expected! A rare feat in my experience. But whether planned or not the end result is just terrific.

Every thumbnail opens to reveal the beauty promised and then so much more. Must be getting near time to pack in the labouring job you have down at the fish market and spend some quality time with your nearest and dearest (Messers Windsor & Newton). Quality, pal - real quality.

Thought I would post one that's going wrong currently- will be when/if done will be a Beautiful Demoiselle as per sketch which is veeeerrry rare beast in my neck of the woods- but as with the Masked Shrike upthread I'm struggling with how to render leaves in a rapid whap it on style but with just enough detail to be recognisable so seeking inspiration (=someone to plagiarise)- the problems seem to stem from the fact that any deviation from true shape catches the eye and too much paint turns them to cabbage leaves, whilst thin piss coloured washes look like well...

Attachments

• DSC_1412.jpg
    DSC_1412.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_1414.jpg
    DSC_1414.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
these are just some possible ways to think about it....

let the edges get sharp and focused only near the center of interest, then let that diminish out to the edges into paint strokes, ie a transition...keep the strongest color notes on that level too, letting chroma fall off as you go out.

Just pick up edges here and there, not all around in keeping with your style to let the eye of the viewer finish them off.

let the background tone vary more with less contrast with the leaves in some places...

Trust yourself, your painting will tell you what it needs....

Trust yourself, your painting will tell you what it needs....

Leaves are just fine. Just follow Colleen's advice above and you'll soon be done with another real winner. I think this one is a bit more complicated because you can't use the active brushwork to mimic water or reflections but need it to work with something with a more specific contour. But as far as I can see you've succeeded!!

just thought I'd add albeit a little late. The Black stork is pure class!

stork does seem to have been a success- I need to learn from that

I had another shot at the demoiselle picture over the weekend, concentrating on the tones and not taking the short cut of blatting on bright yellow or sap green to wake it all up. Might now allow some saturated colours into the lit zone- but under strictly controlled conditions.

Also nipped round this weekend to see what Keeble senior was up to- a Woodcock work in progress attached.

Attachments

• DSC_1443 copy copy.jpg
    DSC_1443 copy copy.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 59
  • woodcockDSC_1433.jpg
    woodcockDSC_1433.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 53
I think the demoiselle is progressing just perfectly; not far to go now - but still a couple of exciting tracks to pursue. It looks like an absolute peach.
Keeble Sr. is a bit of a peach, too (as has been remarked upon before). As progeny, it could be very easy to become a tad dispirited having Pop produce this sort 'o ting, were it not for yer own brilliance.
Bah - b*ggers the pair o' yer!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back