• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fond Memories: 17 Years with a Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B GAT* (3 Viewers)

If only Zeiss would do (or had done) with the non-P Dialyts as Swarovski used to do with their SLCs and upgrade these - even for an extra cost - with phase-coated prisms (ideally dielectric coated for that extra little amount of brightness), it wouldn't be a surprise if many more of these would still be in regular use today.
As I discovered not long ago with an 8x30 Dialyt, there were several model variations (with different locations of the diopter knob and slightly varying FOV) and the later phase-coated prisms cannot be retrofitted to the older designs. On the other hand, if you were lucky enough to have one of the last model before phase coatings, Zeiss might be able to do this, for a fee. It could be worth looking into.

Last edited:
Two years have passed, it seems, in a flash. This year, by choice, I took my 10x40 on three overseas trips, and got to see some pretty neat birds - goshawks and hawfinches in Berlin, a wallcreeper on a coastal cliff in Catalunya, and lots of new species on a recent visit to California's Bay Area. I have to say that on that last trip in particular I was reminded that it is still a really useful, versatile, and satisfying binocular. Compact and robust, it points and handles well, the focus seemingly neither too slow nor too fast, and I really would have been quite churlish to have asked for better views at short to medium distances in the bright California sun. Anna's hummingbirds suddenly turning on their purple-pink lights, the throat-gorget of a resting Allen's hummingbird looking like a tiny orange fireball in the gloom earlier that morning; the striking blacks and whites and reds of acorn and Nuttall's woodpeckers, a flock of red-masked parakeets glowing green in the afternoon sun as they flew around Telegraph Hill - all these and more join the multitude of memories made with the help of this binocular.

In terms of pure optical performance it is surpassed by many binoculars today, including some I own myself. But this is still the binocular (that I own) I feel most comfortable with "in the hand". When I purchased it years ago it seemed like a hefty purchase, and I suppose it still would be for many birders. But after more trips than I can count, this binocular really does not owe me anything.

Attachments

• 20230226_162907-1_01.jpg
    20230226_162907-1_01.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 26
I bought mine around 1985. Still have em. Still use them, occasionally. They are loaners for friends who come birding sans. binoculars. I was surprised when my EL 1042s arrived comparing the size and weight of those to the 1040 Zeiss. I got used to the Swaros. They are clearly superior, but these Zeiss still work. Many memories ride with them. While not in the market for another binocular. The dims of these inspire my interest in the SFL 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back