• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extender (1 Viewer)

lesjames

I own a D60 and 100-400mm IS, I have made several attempts at digiscoping without much success. I am thinking of buying a 2x extender which will effectively give me 1280mm. what are the drawbacks or pitfalls? or should I by a larger lens?

Les

Hi Les, not sure how this slipped through unanswered. I expect you've drawn your own conclusions since you posted.
Anyway, for the benefit of anyone else.
You will be getting considerable focal length with the addition of a 2x converter...but at the price of effectively getting light levels of f11. This will result mean slower shutter-speeds and vibration/camera shake at these magnifications will often be too much for the i.s. system of the lens. In addition your camera's AF will have packed up just past f5.6. So you will need a tripod and switch off the i.s.
The results will be rather soft compared to the bare lens and also lacking in contrast...both can be rectified in-computer, to a limited extent. Only you can say if these results will be acceptable to you.
Get a longer lens or go for a 1.4x tc (image degradation is very minor with a 1.4x tc).
Regards,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back