• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon R7 lens suggestions (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Hi all,

I've purchased a Canon R7 as my first RF body, and as an upgrade from my Canon 70d. I used a Sigma 150-600 C lens on my 70d, and it was a great combo, but I felt since I had the money, it was worth it to upgrade to the R7. The R7 seems fantastic, and I really don't want to get rid of it. For the first two weeks, I've been using my Sigma on it. The AF pulsing issues with the combo(just like Duade Paton says in his youtube videos), isn't good and I really am frustrated by it. I'm a birder before a photographer, so I do need a decent amount of reach. However, the RF 800 f/11 isn't flexible enough for me, especially the fixed 800mm(1280 on the R7), and the minimum focus distance of 19 feet. The 600 f/11 seems better, but I'm wondering if I should go with the 600mm f/11, or the RF 100-400mm with a 1.4x extender?

Thanks!

The canon 100-400mm mk2 EF with an ef-rf adapter works extremely well with not pulsing. Also works well with ef 1.4x extender. I used this exclusively on recent Gambia trip and is excellent combo.

The 100-500mm EF mount should be excellent but if using an extender it will not retract all the way back due to rear glass.

You could pick up a used canon 400mm 5.6 prime & use it with a canon 1.4 extender.
One caveat on doing that. I've not used my old 400/5.6 on my R7, but I did give it a try-out on my R5 in spring 2021 (without extender). Although it gave good results, the burst frame rate was annihilated, nowhere near the usual 12 FPS on 'High Speed'. The R5 performed fine with my Sigma 150-600 Sport and my other (more modern) Canon EF lenses at the time. I didn't measure the rate, but it sounded noticably slower, maybe 6 or 7 FPS on a freshly-charged battery. Research on Canon says that this is normal with the older EF lenses on RF bodies, Burst rate is much reduced.

They take a good photo, just not as many as you'd like.

Attachments

• Fulmar-(84)-fbook.jpg
    Fulmar-(84)-fbook.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Fulmar-(126)-fbook.jpg
    Fulmar-(126)-fbook.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
A couple of more shots from that March 2021 R5 and 400/5.6 test.

As I said, the combo found the birds well, but the burst rate was hammered down.

Attachments

• Kittiwake-(1)-fbook.jpg
    Kittiwake-(1)-fbook.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Kittiwake-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Kittiwake-(2)-fbook.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi all,

I've purchased a Canon R7 as my first RF body, and as an upgrade from my Canon 70d. I used a Sigma 150-600 C lens on my 70d, and it was a great combo, but I felt since I had the money, it was worth it to upgrade to the R7. The R7 seems fantastic, and I really don't want to get rid of it. For the first two weeks, I've been using my Sigma on it. The AF pulsing issues with the combo(just like Duade Paton says in his youtube videos), isn't good and I really am frustrated by it. I'm a birder before a photographer, so I do need a decent amount of reach. However, the RF 800 f/11 isn't flexible enough for me, especially the fixed 800mm(1280 on the R7), and the minimum focus distance of 19 feet. The 600 f/11 seems better, but I'm wondering if I should go with the 600mm f/11, or the RF 100-400mm with a 1.4x extender?

Thanks!
Hi i have the R7 and RF 100-400 I was considering buying the 1.4 converter, but the cost of the converter is almost the same as RF 600, so I’m considering just getting the RF 600 and having the two lenses, the 100-400 is an excellent lens, I hope this helps you decide.

Hi i have the R7 and RF 100-400 I was considering buying the 1.4 converter, but the cost of the converter is almost the same as RF 600, so I’m considering just getting the RF 600 and having the two lenses, the 100-400 is an excellent lens, I hope this helps you decide.
Hi, a couple of photos taken with the R7/RF600, ISO 1000 at 1/1024 from a distance of approx 350-400m. The original gives an idea of the weather conditions, the crop is auto enhanced and noise removal. As a birdwatcher/photographer, rather than the reverse, I find it acceptable. As an aside - considering all the "budget" RF lenses are not weather-proofed - I use EF L lenses with adapter for when the weather is crap, as it usually is when I go out and about!

Attachments

• 5M7A3147 original.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 19
  • RF600f11test1.jpg
    RF600f11test1.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 32
Just found this one too, a brighter day from much closer, about 150 yds I think. Also forgot to add that I use EF lenses so I can keep my 7D Mk II as a back-up or additional rig to save lens changes in the field. Hope the photos can be of some assistance.

Attachments

• jackdaw.JPG
    jackdaw.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 28
Have you considered the Tamron/Sigma 100-400 lenses? They offer similar performance as the Canon 100-400 MkII at a lower price and don't have the pulsing problem the 150-600 has with mirrorless bodies. One thing, people reported about Tamron that out of the box the AF is fast, but without calibration misses more than the Sigma, although the Sigma has a slower AF. On the other hand, image stabilisation on Tamron (VC) is way better than the one on Sigma (OS). Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back