• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie Purchase (1 Viewer)

newbieoptics

Evening,

I don't know much about optics, but fancied some compact binoculars.

I've always been a great believer in "they don't make them like they used to", so I've managed to acquire a set of bushnell custom compacts in 6x25 format.

I've found a few posts online that suggest these should perform well enough for my needs.

How did I do? Does anyone have any experience of these binoculars?

Thomas

:hi:
Hi Thomas,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

To start to answer your question it depends on what your needs are and what you intend to use your binocular for. So let's assume it is in good working condition. It's an older model Bushnell and it's coatings won't be as good as the coatings in the new 7 x 26 Bushnell Custom Classic. It won't handle glare as well. It's 6x power may be a little too small for many activities.

For carrying around for casual use it is perfect. You can use it at concerts, sports events, and casual birding where the birds aren't too far off. If you have more rigorous pursuits in mind you will be better off with a larger 8 x 32 or 8 x 42 binocular.

As far as the 6 x 25 Bushnell Custom Classic goes it has a fine reputation and if yours has no problems, like worn out eye cups, or bad collimation you should be happy with it using it within it's limitations. But in reality, they really are making binoculars better today than they did in the past.

There were some very recent discussions on these binoculars here. Here is one:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=271525

And here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=214679

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back