• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joining for my grandson (1 Viewer)

Hi, all. I'm 66, still working. I've always loved optics; at various times, I've been interested in monoculars, magnifying glasses, and--for most of my adult life--camera lenses. Now it's binoculars' turn.
I found this site after learning, in November 2022, that my 12-year-old stepgrandson in Pittsburgh was a birdwatcher. I decided he deserved two pairs of good binoculars: a full-size pair (say, 8x42) and a pair of compact or pocket binoculars. I began reading threads here and at Cloudy Nights. I would choose three to five models in each category; he'd choose the model that best-suited him.
Those purchases are on hold because soon after I joined, my stepgrandson was diagnosed with cancer and has been receiving chemotherapy and radiation therapy. His treatment will continue into 2024.
But I've acquired binoculars to use myself and to give to other relatives. To curb my buying impulses, I decided to stick to a niche design--reverse porroprisms. I've bought 18 models. Only three models are still made. I'll be sharing my findings soon.

Hi MarylandUSA and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Binocular Forum as they're more able to discuss this with you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Godspeed to your stepgrandson and hope he gets to share some magical moments with you and the binoculars in the future.
We will look forward to your reports, the Papillo is a firm favourite of mine for a low cost.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I hope your grandson comes through his treatments well.

Welcome aboard to you and your grandson and prayers said for his healing.

Sounds as though you are a Bino fanatic and I hope you both enjoy them and the pleasure they bring. Enjoy!

Oh my god. That is terrible news about your grandson. I'm sending thoughts of health and happiness.
Looking forward to your reverse porro reviews.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back