• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x42 FL T* Depth of field? (1 Viewer)

berryns

I'm thinking about upgrading my Zeiss 7x42 BGATP's to the 8x42 FL, but I love the depth of field (DOF) of the 7x42s. So before I do this I would like to know people's impressions on the Zeiss 8x42 FL's DOF. Even better if you can compare it to the Zeiss 7x42's DOF. Thanks for your help! I don't have the opportunity to test an 8x42.

Berry,
I haven't used the older 7x Zeiss, so can't make the comparison you seek. But I own the 8x42 FL, and another 8x which is a 30mm, and the two 8x seem the same as far as DOF to me.

I also use, in various makes, 6x, 7x, and 12x. I certainly do see a rapid decrease in DOF as magnification is increased. I have read some pretty convincing arguments that in normal daylight viewing, where the pupil of the eye is contracted smaller than the exit pupil of the binocular, the only parameter determining DOF is magnification, and that DOF varies with the inverse square of the magnification. This would predict 8x to have 0.76 the DOF as 7x. That is about consistent with my experience, and I find the difference between 7x and 8x quite noticeable.

Some people, on the other hand, have criticized the 8x42 FL as having less DOF than other 8x42s. Even if that contradicts the holy theory, I believe there are several things that could lead to that impression, and impression is what this is all about anyway.

Personally, I find I have to refocus both of my 8x binoculars almost constantly, unless the view is at least a good quarter mile away. The focus on the FL is extremely quick, but also extremely smooth, so that with a little getting used to, it is easy to use. But set and forget, you can forget.
Ron

Thanks for your help, after some careful consideration I have decided to keep the 7x42's their DOF is amazing. I would says it's around 30m-infinity.

Thanks for your help, after some careful consideration I have decided to keep the 7x42's their DOF is amazing. I would says it's around 30m-infinity.

Good decision! Hold on to your ClassiCs (until I have enough quarters in my pig's feet jars to buy them from you :)

You also saved yourself $2K! Go out and celebrate with a steak dinner! :)

Have you tried any of the FLs? The ergonomics and "feel" are quite different from the older B/GAs. There's more than the DOF and optics to consider.

Ron said: "Some people, on the other hand, have criticized the 8x42 FL as having less DOF than other 8x42s. Even if that contradicts the holy theory, I believe there are several things that could lead to that impression, and impression is what this is all about anyway."

You speak Blasphemy, brother. Amen! Theory, smeary. The perception of DOF can be very different even when the measured DOF is close or the same for two 8x bins.

Look through an 8x32 HG and an 8x32 SE and you'll see what I mean.

Brock

Okay, okay, don't rub it in, you lucky dog! :)

You'd probably find the same frustration with the 8x32 HG/HGL's ultra fast focuser.

Brock, the Roofless

That's what I've found also. The Zeiss 8x32 FL and Nikon 8x32 HG have fast focusers which gives the impression of poor depth of field because you can zip in and out of focus if you don't do small movements of the focuser. I checked out the DOF on my FLs today and its ample. Granted its no where near that of the 7x42 dialyts which hardly require any focussing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back