• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS Victory SF Appreciation Thread (2 Viewers)

A pair of binoculars should be tried on just like a new pair of shoes.
And the same, after wearing it for a while, it fits us much better, just like a pair of shoes!

Anyone who buys binoculars must try until they find the right pair! Those who wear glasses even more. It depends on the physiognomy of the user (the depth of the eyes, the thickness and length of the nose, the interpupillary distance), the thickness of the glasses frames or the lenses glasses. These are just some of the variables when it comes to matching bino/user. Variables that are not the same from one person to another.
Fortunately for me these SF 10x42 fits perfectly!! And in general any pair of binoculars with enough eye relief I get used to it very quickly. I have an advantageous physiognomy! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The problem, I believe, is that there is very little tolerance in the eyebox for anything less than absolutely perfect positioning at precisely the right distance from the ocular (eye relief, in other words). In addition, the position of my glasses in relation to the binoculars is always going to be variable to some degree, which adds to the potential to affect where I position the binoculars in relation to my eyes.
I think you nailed it here. I strongly dislike this part of the 8x42 SF, but they're still my favorite 8x42. For the clarity and sharpness of the optics, but especially for the ergonomics - the gripping and focusing of them.

The US dollar/ Japanese yen exchange rate is incredibly good right now, I love my EDG 7x42, I just considered trying an 8x42 EDG from Japan before the rates change again. I picked up the SF's and used them a bit and put that idea back on the shelf! They're so much nicer to hold in hand than the EDG, which itself is one of the more comfortable binos I've used. I can't sell them. I'll just continue on with my blue tape markers on the eyecups so I can micro-adjust them to the right position while birding.

So now I'm considering ordering another pair of 7x42 EDG :D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back