• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Birds Guide App. (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
Anyone know if/when the Collins Bird guide will appear as an App for iPhone/Pad Android whatever? I read it was already but can't find it in iTunes store.

Must be some reason they aren't releasing one...there is a digital version for PDAs I think, so why haven't they moved it on to the Smartphone platform. Seems odd.

A company called `My digital earth' apparently did the EGuide for PDAs. (They're the people who've done the app for Sibley and for the Sinclair et al book on Birds of Southern Africa.)

On their availability chart Collins has been promised as being available for Apple/Android devices as `coming soon' for at least two years now. Given how many other apps have actually appeared in that period it doesn't seem a huge priority. Maybe we should try lobbying?

Andrea

A company called `My digital earth' apparently did the EGuide for PDAs. (They're the people who've done the app for Sibley and for the Sinclair et al book on Birds of Southern Africa.)

On their availability chart Collins has been promised as being available for Apple/Android devices as `coming soon' for at least two years now. Given how many other apps have actually appeared in that period it doesn't seem a huge priority. Maybe we should try lobbying?

Andrea

Yes, seems rather odd as is surely would be a winner. Perhaps there is some row over copyright issues going on behind the scenes?

Really hope they get it sorted soon! And then can we have European guides to other groups please, especially butterflies and dragonflies.

Amazon was showing 27 March 2014, release now listed as 26 March 2015 - here.

That's the Kindle edition, not an app. Moreover it's the Collins Pocket Guide (Collins British Birds) with 256 pages, not the `full' Collins, which has 448 pages.

I can find that on ITunes as well, but again, it's the electronic edition of that book, it's neither an app nor does it cover the book most of us mean when referring to `the Collins guide'.

I assume that everything reported on this thread refers to this rather than an app, unless somebody tells me otherwise.

Andrea

Real shame there still seems such an issue with getting such a definitive guide fully available in digital format in the UK.

the company , in conjunction with Bloomsbury uk have done a really bad job of birds of east Africa with lots of errors , which were brought to their attention last February and have still not bee corrected. I hope they do a better job on Collins birds of Europe

Mike D in Nairobi

Andrea

If its anything like "most" software these days, the motto seems to be "Get it on the market as soon as possible and we can promise fixes as and when somebody with a clue lets us know". I mean, you wouldn't buy a car that hasn't been fully tested, so why do they get away with it with software?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back