• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allpahuayo Mishana reserve Peru Sept 2024: bird guide recommendations? (2 Viewers)

slowe20

slowe20
Hi all
There don't seem to be any private trip reports available on the internet for this reserve. I'd like to spend four full days birding there next year, starting around 23rd September 2024 : does anyone have recommendations for a guide/ contact in Iquitos? I don't speak Spanish.
I have done 3 or 4 Amazonia trips but there are c 15 "target" species which look feasible in the reserve, judging by the paper in Neotropical Birding 2007.

And is anyone by chance interested in joining me? Would have to be just for that five day jaunt (from Lima and back) for me.

Hi all
There don't seem to be any private trip reports available on the internet for this reserve. I'd like to spend four full days birding there next year, starting around 23rd September 2024 : does anyone have recommendations for a guide/ contact in Iquitos? I don't speak Spanish.
I have done 3 or 4 Amazonia trips but there are c 15 "target" species which look feasible in the reserve, judging by the paper in Neotropical Birding 2007.

And is anyone by chance interested in joining me? Would have to be just for that five day jaunt (from Lima and back) for me.
I went there some years ago. It's some distance from Iquitos, with (when we were there) not overly frequent transport. There's an illegal village in the middle of the reserve—it might be possible to stay there. There's certainly a good chance you'll be expected to make a monetary contribution to the locals' efforts to improve the sandy soils by pouring fertilisers and pesticides on them. Thanks to their illegal status they may not be too welcoming...

Alas I suspect many of the species in Neotropical Birding article are much more difficult than it implies. Some things like "la perlita" may be possible if you walk far enough. Others like ancient antwren are probably still fairly easy.

For a guide, try asking Gunnar of Kolibri Expeditions who to talk to. It's not Gunnar's normal patch (or wasn't when we were there). Iquitos itself has things to offer too.

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking of going to Perú late September too. I am not sure about this area, as some mixed reviews, but the best guide there appears to be Christoph Meyer, the owner/CEO of Wildlife Tours Perú. About - Wildlife Tours Peru

Maybe talk to him about the illegal village situation and what you might be able to see.

Regards, Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back