• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Technology - How Far can we go? (1 Viewer)

Corax67

On a tangent to the thread posted by Weather "Have we gone too far?" I wondered what, with the technology available, could we use to make the ultimate birding aid.

I was thinking of a scope which combined the following:

Thermal Imaging Camera - for that "bird in the bush" moment *
Laser target acquisition - easier than trying to tell a group of fellow birders which wave the Little Auk is bobbing behind as their scopes/bins will automatically lock on.
Digital camcorder & flip up LCD screen rather than squinting through an eyepiece.
Bird ID software to automatically cross reference the digital image with a database & ID it for you.
Sound comparison software - ID that song!
Fluid Lens technology - this gives infinitely variable magnification at the lens stage - 2000x zoom (sounds like Star Wars but does exist)

(* this REALLY works as a mate in the local fire brigade let me try one for nest recording - WOW - it's amazing how many blackbirds & finches I had missed in a hedgerow and I've been doing this for years!)

What does everyone think? - with a mobile phone link built in, you could even stay at home & watch a friends birding from the comfort of your PC on the internet - think of how easy twitching would be then!

you still cant beat going out into the great outdoors with just a pair of trusty bino's for company!

being a technology fan myself, i am always interested in the latest gadgets etc, it's cost me a fortune over the years........top-end bins, scopes, military spec night-vision are all in my 'birding arsenal'......

Just to be really implausible . . .

Remote access DNA analysis kit that will give you an automatic DNA sequence on a bird up to 1km distant

How about some device that keeps bugs away, mosquitos, swarms of bees, anything that bites in fact, would get my vote. 'Deet' works, for a while...

Oh yes, plus something to keep the beers cold all day (please don't say a fridge).

Mike

MikeB. said:
How about some device that keeps bugs away, mosquitos, swarms of bees, anything that bites in fact, would get my vote.

It exists, and is called 'intensive agriculture'. Also gets rid of all birds very reliably . . . :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back