• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

What's so hard about seeing Caspian Snowcock in Georgia? There are some reliable places and but maybe a bit harder to reach than Demircazik.

Caspian Snowcock is relatively straightforward in at least one site in south-central Georgia. You need 4x4 (or a local beat up Lada!) but could see them from the car. However, this site is a long way from the usual Tbilisi - Stepantsminda route, so Turkey is best bet.

Apparently there aren't any African Skimmers in Egypt at this time of year! Poor research there.... All updated on the blog with the Wagtail and the Pelican bagged.

What they say is no skimmers on the Nile. In mid winter they've been seen north of Lake Nasser on the river. However in the past plenty of people have seen them at simbel from the last week of April onwards, so they should be there in theory.

Caspian Snowcock is relatively straightforward in at least one site in south-central Georgia. You need 4x4 (or a local beat up Lada!) but could see them from the car. However, this site is a long way from the usual Tbilisi - Stepantsminda route, so Turkey is best bet.
I am aware I started this thread. I dipped on them here and the level of disturbance, the difficulty of the logistics, both of the access and lack of somewhere to stay prompted my comment. I was last there in 2011, so I accept that things may have changed.
I think we are all agreed though that Turkey is best

Well five days left. Can they have another crack at Yellow Bittern & Goliath Heron?

Assuming that African Skimmmer is now off the agenda, the remaining Egyptian priorities are:-
Saunders's Tern
Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse
Senegal Coucal
Streaked Weaver

I've still got them beating 750 with 30 rarities in the balance of the year with the best chances being in Britain and Ireland in September and Azores in October. With a few more misses, particularly Atlantic seabirds, they may need maybe 35-40 rarities. The most likely rarities are:-
Pied-billed Grebe
Black Heron
Yellow-billed Egret
Great Blue Heron
Ross's Goose
Cackling Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Rüppell's Griffon
American Coot
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
American Golden Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Wilson's Phalarope
Laughing Gull
Elegant Tern
Forster's Tern
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk
Chimney Swift
American Cliff Swallow
Pechora Pipit
Hermit Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Grey-cheeked Thrush
Radde's Warbler
Dusky Warbler
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
American Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Pine Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Bobolink
Baltimore Oriole

All the best

Last edited:
Well five days left. Can they have another crack at Yellow Bittern & Goliath Heron?

Assuming that African Skimmmer is now off the agenda, the remaining Egyptian priorities are:-
Saunders's Tern
Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse
Senegal Coucal
Streaked Weaver
All the best

Yellow Bittern after three days wading through mangroves in the bag (according to facebook video)!

Last edited:
Yellow Bittern after three days wading through mangroves in the bag (according to facebook video)!

Now at 555 species with the Yellow Bittern - amazing number in the beginning of May!

They haven't found Goliath Heron yet, but Crab Plover (which they already had from the very beginning), according to facebook.

Now at 555 species with the Yellow Bittern - amazing number in the beginning of May!

They haven't found Goliath Heron yet, but Crab Plover (which they already had from the very beginning), according to facebook.

Think giving up with the heron now; one was present at Hamata in January but the summer is more unpredictable.

So complete write-offs so far are Shikra, African Skimmer and Goliath Heron.
Nevertheless I think they are doing quite well, particularly after the somewhat slow start..

Nevertheless I think they are doing quite well, particularly after the somewhat slow start..

I think their strategy of slowly moving from one country to another to have the chance to clean up an area more or less completely is quite adequate for a WP Big Year. I think that it seemed to be a slow start was just because we were all spoiled by the pace that Arjan and Noah needed to have on a global scale!

I think their strategy of slowly moving from one country to another to have the chance to clean up an area more or less completely is quite adequate for a WP Big Year. I think that it seemed to be a slow start was just because we were all spoiled by the pace that Arjan and Noah needed to have on a global scale!

And perhaps more so the tactics/pace of the ABA Big Year last year - concentrating on targeting vagrants/rarities, but with a good plan on regular species too.

(But that could be even more expensive, and they have done reasonably well/had good luck on most rarities so far)

Daniel

What has given them a crack at 750 is the off-itinerary twitching. Of course, Kuwait is dry but I had heard a story that a discussion fuelled by some legitimate diplomatic beer led to their change in plan when they realised they had little left to see and days left. They started their UK twitching the next day....

All the best

Last edited:
They've added Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse yesterday as well as Honey-Buzzard and Eastern Rufous-tailed Scrub-Robin. I guess next stop is the Nile Delta; if they find the three remaining targets I think they can be very happy with their results!

Considering their twitching attitude I think there's still room for more. After having cleaned up Morocco they could have easily gone for the Albatros on Sylt and have had much luck with longstaying vagrants. Also I really wonder why they took a vacation at home at the very start...

Still I think 750 is very possible, but following Big Years still have the chance to do even better. I wonder what number could be achievable if you step up the twitching (and how much more expensive it is)

Maybe for the current trip, but I think there is a lot of scope in August/September to potentially return to some sites and get these species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back