• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

Hello there- just catching up after a few weeks away and that's a really lovely Curlew Sand. I'm already with Tim and eagerly looking for the fast forward button.

We look forward to seeing the fruits (fruit?) of your time away ! I revisited the juv and simplified it somewhat - just posted the revised version in the Gallewy.

Dave

Lapwing - Work In Progress....

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your topic Dave B. Just thought I'd share my work in progress with you all! My first attempt at drawing a Lapwing. I can't take credit for the photo but I'm pretty pleased with the flexibility the Wacom offers.

I've been in the field of design and publishing for many, many years but never before have I brought a Wacom into the equation to do my work.

For near on a year it sat looking at me like a placemat. So then I decided to actually try to get to grips with the thing and actually see for myself if it lived up to the hype.

If you have one, you'll not need to understand just how good these things are, if you don't own one, then what are you waiting for!!! Trust me you are missing out!

They are worth the buy.... :t:

Attachments

• WIP_Lapwing.jpg
    WIP_Lapwing.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 162
Beautiful Icklesal. I couldn't agree more about the wacom. I don't know how I've managed without one up 'til recently.

Mike

Wacom - WIP Lapwing

Just thought I'd share with you the next stage of my lapwing - I've been a bit preoccupied of late with work but had a bash yesterday at working on the plumage.

I'm a perfectionist so the project will be finished in the next two years knowing me! :t:

If anyone is interested, I'm using Corel Painter Essentials 3 - using Artists Pastels and Marker Pen setting. It treats the medium you choose with fabulous accuracy. A fantastic piece of software for the Wacom. I also use Adobe Photoshop/CS2 Suite in my work on a daily basis but actually find the sensitivity of the pen works better in Corel's package.

Oh....And I haven't forgotten the feathers on his head, that's the tricky bit that I'm leaving until last!

Attachments

• WIP_Lapwing.jpg
    WIP_Lapwing.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 99
  • WIP_Lapwing2.jpg
    WIP_Lapwing2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 105
What a fantastic Idea Dave. You should do loads of british waders, gulls and ducks too, then sell it as a CD-rom field guide. I'd buy a copy!! Its a fantastic tool for field identification.

Been a while but almost there!....

I guess I could've finished this month's ago if I'd have knuckled down to it, but like most projects I take on (usually have a fair few on the go)...It's taken rather longer than usual. Still nearly there....

I suppose when you stare at a computer screen all day, coming home to paint isn't always the first thing on my mind! :t:

Attachments

• Lapwing - Work In Progress.jpg
    Lapwing - Work In Progress.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 84
I suppose with so much detail, it's hard to say when it's finished. But what a beauty, well worth the wait.

My thread died!

The first in a long time. I've decided to try to put a bit more time and effort into sketching and painting in the coming year. let's see how long that resolution lasts!

This is a Bar-tailed Godwit in Sydney earlier this month.

Dave

Attachments

• Bar-tailed Godwit s.jpg
    Bar-tailed Godwit s.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi Dave,
Totally unfamiliar with your stuff as I'm relatively new to BF - see my thread! As a big shorebird fan obviously anything to do with waders is right up my street. I love the Bar-wit, just love it! Bold, unfussy but beautifully rendered - I must see some more!

Looking forward to seeing a lot more. All the best.

Regards

Russ

ps - difficult to see exactly what media you've used here it's that good; can you enlighten me.

Cheers

Gorgeous drawing Dave - please keep it going for all our sakes. Aye Russ, our Dave's done a bit of wader work himself - lovely work this, isn't it!

Hi Dave,

I'm new to being active on the forum and so hadn't seen your work before. Went back through this thread - very nice stuff! Look forward to seeing more.

Hi Dave,

ps - difficult to see exactly what media you've used here it's that good; can you enlighten me.

Cheers

Thanks chaps,

To answer Russ's PS, I'm using a Wacom tablet with Photoshop. Being rather lazy and somewhat 'space and time-challenged' - I find this way of finishing off drawings/paintings more practical than doing stuff on paper.

Sometimes I start the process off using real paper and paint (as I did with this one), and then scan it in and finish it off on the computer.

Not sure that it will satisfy the purists, but I do it for a bit of relaxation and find it quite enjoyable. Still learning lots too about how to use the various paintbrushes, layers, etc.

Cheers

Dave

Dave all i can say is stunning

The wader sketch is loose and fantastic

The Kite is fantastic again nice and loose and the colours are very vibrant

keep posting your work i will keep an eye out for it

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back