• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 Stokes DLS vs Promaster et al (1 Viewer)

ewsjr

Pros and cons please on choosing the Stokes DLS or one of the Chinese ED 10x binoculars. The price is nearly the same and the Stokes does have the Vortex warranty backing it up. What are your thoughts? TIA

Well, I have the Promaster and I have looked at several DLS, but never side by side. Going at this in a somewhat roundabout fashion, I have had my Promaster side by side to a Razor and a Razor side by side to a DLS. The image of the Razor and DLS is just about identical, with the DLS perhaps either a tad brighter or with a tad more neutral color bias. The practical differences are likely non existent. The Promaster has a better image than the Razor, not very much, you can see it if they are side by side, but I doubt if you would know it in the field.

The significant difference, which will determine the preference for either the Stokes or the Promaster/Hawk will be the smaller more compact size of the DLS,along with the ergonomic differences between the standard piano hinge DLS vs the open hinge of the ELX ED et.al. Another significant difference is the focus wheel rate. The Stokes is much faster than the ELX ED, one turn vs 2 1/2 turns.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back