• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me choose between Celestron Nature DX ED 10x42 or Nikon Prostaff P3 10x42 (1 Viewer)

agcza

South Africa
Hello!

I've narrowed down my choices to two binoculars. I'm trying to choose between The Nikon Prostaff P3 10x42 and the Celestron Nature DX ED 10x42.

My buying options are either from Amazon or locally in South Africa, and both binoculars work out to be the same price (+- 210 USD including delivery)

I would buy the Nikon's locally (which is a plus because then I get a local warranty), and I would buy the Celestron's from Amazon (probably won't be covered by warranty, but the price is a lot cheaper than locally).

I've considered 10x50 but the price for the same quality goes up a bit and they go above my price range.

Could you give me your opinion on which ones to go for? I'm primarily using them for looking at stuff from a balcony (the sea, some whales, harbour activities, etc.)

If there's any others I should consider in this price range, let me know!

Thanks!

My best advice to anyone who can is try to buy locally

Only you can tell if they fit your budget, your hands and your face. Ergonomics play a big part, you'll not want to use an uncomfortable pair of binoculars. And returning for servicing or (hopefully not) a complaint is easier too.

I’m sure people will join in and extoll the virtues of the individual brands. I know nothing about either. Just make sure you are happy with the weight and fit

My best advice to anyone who can is try to buy locally

Only you can tell if they fit your budget, your hands and your face. Ergonomics play a big part, you'll not want to use an uncomfortable pair of binoculars. And returning for servicing or (hopefully not) a complaint is easier too.

I’m sure people will join in and extoll the virtues of the individual brands. I know nothing about either. Just make sure you are happy with the weight and fit
This was excellent advice, thank you!

I went to try out some binoculars in my price range, and eventually settled for the Nikon Aculon A211 8x42.

I much preferred 8x magnification over 10x, and the Aculons, to my eye, easily matched, if not surpassed the fidelity of more expensive roof prisms that were still within my budget!

This was excellent advice, thank you!

I went to try out some binoculars in my price range, and eventually settled for the Nikon Aculon A211 8x42.

I much preferred 8x magnification over 10x, and the Aculons, to my eye, easily matched, if not surpassed the fidelity of more expensive roof prisms that were still within my budget!

That is what it is all about! Finding a gem that fits your budget and leaves you feeling deeply satisfied when using it.

Happy birding!

R

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back