• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings - impact on resident birds? (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

Does anyone know whether there is evidence that a large influx of waxwings, as we are seeing this winter, has an adverse effect on the resident bird population. The waxwings flocks I have seen seem to be able to decimate a rowan tree in a matter of hours, and I wondered whether this could lead to a food shortage for resident birds over the winter in affected areas. Any ideas ?

Not occurred to me before. My instinctive response would be 'I very much doubt it' but I would be interested in the responses of others.

I think the effects would only be very localised and hardly significant. Although the numbers are high they are no where near the 10s of thousands of Redwings and Fieldfare which gorge on the berry crops when they arrive.
We had a flock of 80 waxwings here, compare that to probably about 5000 Thrushes a few weeks before!
Interestingly also, many of the Waxwings I saw in Forres arrived in quite mild weather and were quite actively feeding on insects, not berries!

JP

For some reason some bushes and trees remain full of berries, whilst others are striped bare. Maybe they leave some or the berries are unpleasant but sweeten up later - just a thought.

Merop said:
For some reason some bushes and trees remain full of berries, whilst others are striped bare. Maybe they leave some or the berries are unpleasant but sweeten up later - just a thought.

Hi William,

Great surname you've got there.

That's been true here in Aberdeen too. One area (Kincorth) has been home to up to 1800 birds (although I only saw 300ish myself) in recent weeks. They seem to have largely moved on now, but there are still some untouched trees there. I suppose a large flock hanging around for too long attracts too many predators, or something like that.

Phil (Wilson)

I think it's been such a good year for berries (especially Rowan) that the effects on other birds aren't likely to be any different to usual. There are still quite a few berries on trees in Aberdeen despite the vast numbers of thrushes and Waxwings that have been around over the past month or so. Bear in mind as well that a large proportion of the populations of 'resident' birds like Blackbird, Song Thrush and Robin are probably immigrants too. In other words, there probably aren't that many berry-eating birds that are truly resident in most parts of Scotland.

An interesting thought - I would think that there is plenty of food to go round, butthen it is a bit warmer here in sunny (?) Blackpool, so there are lenty of berries about.
Unfortunately I have yet to see a Waxwing but I am hoping my trip to Glasgow on Thursday will at least give me an outside chance. I have noticed on Birdguides that there have ben reports in Glasgow (Clyde) for the past week or two.
Here's hoping!
Henry H

The birds that are most likely to be effective are those that are strongly territorial in the winter. I'm thinking e.g Mistle Thrush, which might find its favourite trees stripped bare. These are quite likely to die, but as someone above said, it's more likely to be redwings the culprits than a flock of waxies.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back