• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bali in September (1 Viewer)

Foxy

I am visiting the Nusa Dua area of Bali on the Bukit Peninsula at the end of September and wondered if anyone who knows the region can recommend any 'must do' birding sites ion the area. I was also looking at the available Bird Guides and would welcome any suggestions: the 'Field Guide to the Birds of Java and Bali is apparently not brilliant and very dated now whilst the Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo, Sumatra, Java, and Bali: The Greater Sunda Islands seems to cover just too much area for a 12 day holiday. Any thoughts?
Thank you in anticipation

We spent a few days in Bali, in 2000 when my husband attended a conference at one of the Nusa Dua hotels. I can send you my bird list, and a few tips, in a few days when I get back home to my PC. Because of the jet lag we were awake pre-dawn every morning and went birding in the local area along the Nusa Dua beaches.

There is a page on Bali in our BirdForum Opus section, which has quite a lot of information:

www.birdforum.net/opus/Bali

I do know that the endemic Bali Mynah is now restricted to the Bali Barat National Park.

HelenB

Last edited:
Here's a link to a list generated by eBird for the Hotspot "Nusa Dua--Grand Hyatt Bali"

http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L2374654?yr=all&m=&rank=lrec

We were there in October and did not have any problem with rain. When it did rain it was after 3pm!

I was browsing the Indonesia forum on BF and found this information about a BF member who lives in Bali. He may be able to give you some useful info:

"Mehd Halaouate (www.birdingindonesia.com) - lives on Bali and guides throughout Indonesia"

Hope you have a good trip.

HelenB

Last edited:
"It's worth noting that this is the wet season in Bali and daily rain, big rain, can be expected."

Is this true?!?
I am tentatively planning a trip for mid-end of October 2016. All info I was reading about weather and seasons had the "big rain" not starting til November. Which I realize is rather close to October :) but I thought it wouldn't be really rainy until Nov/Dec/Jan.

If it's rainy as early as September, I may want to change my trip. I don't mind a little rain for short bursts or overnight, but torrential rain all day is not my idea of fun birding.

Does anyone know for sure? Should I take a chance?

Thanks,
Peggy

Is this true?!?
I am tentatively planning a trip for mid-end of October 2016. All info I was reading about weather and seasons had the "big rain" not starting til November. Which I realize is rather close to October :) but I thought it wouldn't be really rainy until Nov/Dec/Jan.

If it's rainy as early as September, I may want to change my trip. I don't mind a little rain for short bursts or overnight, but torrential rain all day is not my idea of fun birding.

Does anyone know for sure? Should I take a chance?

Thanks,
Peggy

I've spent Nov and Dec in Bali and there were flooded streets in Kuta very regularly then. You might get lucky but be prepared or maybe it was a rainy couple of years when I was there?

Andy

Thanks for that, Andy. That's kind of what I expected, but was hoping October would be safer - especially from flooding!

Peggy

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and lists. Not been on recently due to a trip (work not pleasure) to Germany so apologies for the late acknowledgements. I too had thought that early October should be ok for the rains. Fingers crossed!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back