• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singapore - May 2023 (1 Viewer)

I have been to Singapore many times and really enjoyed reading your trip report , it brought back good memories.
There always seems to be another new place to visit and the transport system makes it easy to get around , if you donโ€™t mind getting squashed in the railway carriages .My favourite site other than Sungei buloh and Pulau ubin was the Chinese gardens , although I think they have changed recently . Also the beach park at Chiangi village used to produce some good birds .

Tuesday 16th May:

Last birding day today and I had decided on the Central Catchment area so I made my way on the MRT to Caldecott station and walked to the MacRitchie Reservoir entrance, first walking around the waters edge and then along the MacRitchie Nature Trail to the Ranger Station. At first it was quite busy on the trails but as thunder threatened and a bit of drizzle fell the numbers of people thinned out. It was, however, a bit slow bird wise with only Black-naped Oriole, Magpie Robin and Greater Racket-tailed Drongo of note and a heard only Coppersmith Barbet. After hiding in a shelter from a brief shower, I took the Sime track and eventually reached the Jelutong tower. The storms had moved away and a bit of brightness emerged so I sat at the top for some lunch and to take advantage of the canopy top vista. There were numerous Germains Swiftlet and Pacific Swallow overhead, small mobile flocks of mynas including a couple of Hill Myna, many Green Pigeons in the crowns of nearby trees (but all turned out to be Pink-necked), a Dollarbird perched on a dead snag, a Brahminy Kite flew through and an Olive-winged Bulbul was very close by picking berries from a climber. These were all eclipsed by great views of a stunning male Orange-bellied Flowerpecker * that perched out in the open at eye level on the tip of a Rattan Palm. A great spot.

I retraced my route a little and then took the Petaling boardwalk. After a quick cool down in another shelter I was about to cross a narrow open space through the forest and saw a largish bird fly into the canopy above me. Something must have struck me as different as I spent some time trying to get a good look at it as it moved around high up in the dense foliage - I'm glad I did as it eventually gave itself up as a Chestnut-bellied Malkoha *. I carried on to the fairly impressive Treetop Walk where I briefly saw another Flowerpecker. I then slowly made my way to Windsor Nature Park. Some nice damp forest and a good network of trails and boardwalks but apart from many Junglefowl and Plantain Squirrels it had again gone quiet. In a swampy area on the Venus Loop the last new bird for the trip was a good one - Rufous-tailed Tailorbird *.

With that I wandered out of the park and walked to Bright Hill station on the Thompson East Coast line - as this runs all the way to Marina Bay I stayed on it in the cool all the way and got off to do the tourist bit, have a look at the gardens and visit the Supertree Grove. Dusk was near so I made my way to Bayfront station and back to the hotel. I stopped at the reception to ask if I needed to pre-book a taxi for the airport run in the morning and he said no just get the morning receptionist to sort it out ... and by the way, did you know you were supposed to have checked out this morning?! I snapped into frustrated/angry Brit abroad mode, saying there must be an error and stormed off to get my paperwork to prove it. Of course, the booking information confirmed that they were right and I had somehow cocked-up the dates. So I had to meekly return to the lobby and apologise to the poor man and ask that, as my stuff was still in the room, whether I could stay another night; which he happily agreed to - at a cost, of course.

Photos:

1 & 2. Supertree Grove.

20230516_163814.jpg20230516_163516.jpg

Wednesday 17th May:

No time for birding today as I needed to be at Changi early. Even though the the rail journey is easy, I couldn't be bothered to struggle with the walk to the station with a heavy bag so I asked the hotel receptionist to arrange a taxi. It arrived quickly and I was in the airport with plenty of time to check in and get a fast food breakfast before the long return flight back to Heathrow. On the flight out I had been lucky enough to have a row of three seats to myself so could get some sleep but this time the flight was full so I resorted to watching loads of films to use up the time.

Another great trip: only 79 bird species seen in total but some real quality and of these 41 lifers - not a bad rate of return.

A wonderful write-up of an amazing trip - many thanks Pete! I love that percentage return of lifers, over 50% (would be closer to 100% for me)!

Where to next?

All the best,

Chris

Great report.

Think the heat would defeat me.

But would seriously like to go there.

Yes, the combination of heat and humidity was a bit of a struggle at times but you learn to pace yourself and then the quality of the birds and ease of getting around the city by public transport to the reserves, etc., makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

If a UK citizen you will also need to fill out an online application for an electronic SG Arrival Card, as a sort of tourist visa, within 3 days of your arrival date. Again no problem and can be accessed via the Foreign Office gov.uk entry requirements website.
I've been a couple of times and don't remember having to do this either online or in hard copy?

Maybe although....

'From 13 February 2023 there are no COVID-19 related requirements for entering Singapore.'

"All arrivals in Singapore must complete an electronic SG Arrival Card up to three days before entry into Singapore. This online form requires travel details and a health declaration. It is illegal to submit a false declaration."

As per John's comment, not a hassle at all online.

It's horrible mate, we get warmer weather here in Cyprus than what they get in Singapore but it's the humidity that gets you.
Its me Andy. I'm seriously lightweight when it comes to weather extremes.
I either start getting sick if its too hot, and dreadful colds if its too cold.
Wish I had birded when I was younger and only slightly more robust :)-.

Its me Andy. I'm seriously lightweight when it comes to weather extremes.
I either start getting sick if its too hot, and dreadful colds if its too cold.
Wish I had birded when I was younger and only slightly more robust :)-.
Well I've just had another minor heart op (ablation) and currently can't walk due to a severe, chronic case of plantar fascitis but I still hope there are a couple more trips in me yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back