• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A touch of Spring (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Hi folks,

I managed to get a photo or two of our first Chiffchaff to visit the back garden on Sunday. Then yesterday, another couple of shots from one (or the same one) that visited our front garden! I always feel as though spring is really here on seeing them and hearing them. We heard 2 at the New Forest the Sunday before last, got a couple of photos then too, but not worth putting on, but these are a bit better.

I've also put a slightly blurred one of a Dunnock singing at the back of the house as well as a cheeky Jackdaw on the nuts and maize.

Happy Spring to you all,

Sue.

Attachments

• Chiffchaff_in_garden_222__1a.jpg
    Chiffchaff_in_garden_222__1a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Chiffchaff_front_gdn_166_1a_copy.jpg
    Chiffchaff_front_gdn_166_1a_copy.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Dunnock singing 233 1.jpg
    Dunnock singing 233 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Jackdaw on nuts 181 D 1 copy.jpg
    Jackdaw on nuts 181 D 1 copy.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Jackdaw at maize 225 1.jpg
    Jackdaw at maize 225 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 50
These are really excellent quality pics Sue

And by some amazing coincidence I was just thinking how long it's been since I last saw any jackdaws, funny how they just seem to come and go.

No shortage of donnocks though, and a chiffchaff has made it's way back to my local meadows - still feels like winter though!!

Matt

What a beautiful set of photos Sue. The Dunnock might look blurred to your expert eye, but I think it's a fantastic picture. To get a close-up shot of a bird singing is wonderful in itself. And I really like this one, especially with the branch colours.

More lovely photos from you Sue. I was delighted to see the Chiffchaff down by the Yeo on Tuesday morning and I tried to get a pic of the LTTs, but they were never still long enough and all I got were empty branches!

For the first time in weeks, definitely before Christmas, I had a crow taking some stale apple cake that I had put out on the front lawn. They are always around, but don't often pop in for breakfast.

Miserable weather this morning compared to the last two days, but supposed to buck up again for the weekend.

Hi Sue,
Your spring pictures are a joy "now that's what I call a Chiffchaff" LOL!
Thank you so much for posting your lovely spring garden pics.

Hi all and thank you for your kind comments.

I'm pleased you've got one or two Chiffs too Matt, a little more Spring like today here in temperature only - made up for with rain!

Thanks Dizzy, Mary and Pie, but Renée "expert eye" my foot!! I must agree with you about a singing Bird though, wonderful to the eye and the ear. The Dunnock was only yards from our back bedroom window, the 2nd Chiffchaff taken from our front bedroom window (nice to have one each side!).

Good for you with yours Wendy, though you've something to answer for as I'm sure that Crow lobbed your cake into our stream on it's way over!!!!! I'm positive it was yelling "Too bally hard, too bally hard!!!" ;) :D :-O

Sue.

Welll done, Sue! I'm really envious. Haven't heard or seen any Chiffchaffs round here yet, in fact Spring doesn't seem to be happening at all! However there are compensations, two pairs of Hen Harriers for instance. But they are crafty and know when someone is trying to take their pictures so they make sure only half of them appears in the frame!!!! Right now, however, there's one just outside the house in the thick fog! Are they trying to tell me something?!

good pics sue - It is now spring for me - Two Swallows helped but the warm weather combined with a relaxing walk in the sun (in the back fields) reminded me why I love the outdoors.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back