• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x25 Binocular choices. (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am wondering about a quality type in this size. Budget does matter.

This is a size that is not used by most users as their main binocular, but
As a pocket type.

Jerry

I've ordered a Zeiss Tera 8x25 from Eagle Optics ($299.99). When it arrives in a few days I'll be comparing it to a Leica 8x20 BR, two older Swaro SLC pocket binoculars (8x and 10x), and a Bushnell 7x26 Elite. Lack of eye relief has forced me to abandon the Swaros, and give the Leica to my wife. So ER is my primary decision criterion. After that, they'll have to show excellent opto-mechanical performance to be a keeper. My intention is to report the results on this thread — so thanks for starting it.

Happy New Year.
Ed

Jerry,

After reading Ed's post I went to check out the Terra's specs on the Eagle Optics website. I had a suggestion in mind but I wanted to see how close the specs were. My suggestion is actually an 8x32 that is slightly smaller than the Terra Ed 8x25 but 3 ounces heavier. It also has 1 mm more eye relief at 17 mm and has a 36 foot wider field of view. Take a look at the Opticron Discovery. Price is $229 at Eagle Optics.

Last edited:
Binoculars 8x25 or smaller.

Frank:

I am thinking about small pocket types, that means under 8x30.

I do know the differences, and they do include the reverse porros.

So that means post all of them that should have consideration.

Jerry

Opticron T3 Trailfinder 8x25. $95.00 at Eagle Optics and it has phase coatings.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/opticron/opticron-t3-trailfinder-wp-8x25-binocular

Bob

And 16mm eye relief too!....very impressive for 8x25 and under $100.

If anyone needs to go to $50, the LLBean/Bushnell 8x25 Discovery
is surprisingly good. 14mm eye relief is a bit short for some glasses wearers,
but well ahead of most at that price. I can catch the whole field.
It has almost too much silicone armor to be 'pocketable', certainly bulkier
than the Opticron T3, but it could take some tough handling.
Good for a young kid's mountain hiking pair.

I really wish Opticron made that in a 7x25.

I am wondering about a quality type in this size. Budget does matter.

This is a size that is not used by most users as their main binocular, but
As a pocket type.

Jerry
That is an easy question. The BEST compact you can get is the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. Especially since you said budget doesn't matter. Around $800.00.

Attachments

• 41-Dm1IGs0L.jpg
    41-Dm1IGs0L.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Jerry,

I agree totally with Denco, the Swaro 8x25 CL pocket is currently the ONLY one to get if you want the best. I have tried pretty near all of them and nothing comes close. Good luck.

Frank:

I am thinking about small pocket types, that means under 8x30.

I do know the differences, and they do include the reverse porros.

So that means post all of them that should have consideration.

Jerry

Jerry,

See that is the rub of it. The 8x32 Discovery is a "pocket type" bin. It is arguably the most compact/contoured 8x32 out there. It has practically the same "footprint" as an 8x21, 8x25 or 8x28 model...just with a bit fatter barrel right at the very end where the objective is. Plus you get all of the optical benefits of an 8x32...bigger exit pupil, wider field of view, better eye relief....when compared with anything with a smaller objective.

Compare the specs against the Terra 8x25....

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 25 mm
Field of View 357 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 16 mm
Close Focus 6 feet
Weight 10.9 ounces
Dimensions (H x W) 4.4 x 4.5 inches
Weatherproof Waterproof/Fogproof

Discovery 8x32.....

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 32 mm
Field of View 393 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 17 mm
Close Focus 3.9 feet
Weight 13.8 ounces
Dimensions (H x W) 4.3 x 4.6 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

So if you go by the specs listed above the Discovery is actually .1 of an inch shorter though .1 of an inch wider (because of the 32 mm objective) and yet it has a wider field of view, better eye relief and a better close focus. Plus it is $70 less expensive than the Terra.

Attachments

• terra.jpg
    terra.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 116
  • discovery.jpg
    discovery.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 145
I have both the Swaro and Zeiss Terra 8x25's. While the Swaro's are better overall, I can't fault the Zeiss Terra.

I own the former and bought the latter for my son and compared them.

I agree with your assessment of them. The Zeiss is a very good little binocular.:t:

Bob

Frank:

The model you posted is close enough, so that is just fine with me.

The bigger the better as far as objective size, etc.

Jerry

I've ordered a Zeiss Tera 8x25 from Eagle Optics ($299.99). When it arrives in a few days I'll be comparing it to a Leica 8x20 BR, two older Swaro SLC pocket binoculars (8x and 10x), and a Bushnell 7x26 Elite. Lack of eye relief has forced me to abandon the Swaros, and give the Leica to my wife. So ER is my primary decision criterion. After that, they'll have to show excellent opto-mechanical performance to be a keeper. My intention is to report the results on this thread — so thanks for starting it.

Happy New Year.
Ed

Ed:

You nailed it as why it is hard to like many of the pocket binoculars,
and that is inadequate eye relief. This is one case where it may be
better for a glasses user.

I don't wear glasses, and I don't like to hold any binocular away from
my face, as it is hard to hold steady, etc. I have used the eyebrow
brace with ones hands, but I like to jam the binocular into my eye sockets.

The Swaro. 8x25 CL has been mentioned, and I have tried one in a store.
It was also inadequate for me with not quite enough eye relief. Optically I can agree it is very good.

I will be posting about another binocular that I have found works well,
at the lower price end.

Jerry

It seems there are lots of choices in the small pocket sizes, and I have tried several, including
the Trinovid 8x20 and 10x25, Zeiss 8x20 Victory and Nikon 10x25 LXL. Those are all very good
glass, but are a bit finicky in use, and the eye relief has been a bit short for me without glasses.

I don't use this size often, usually only when travelling so for my budget I was looking for
an 8x25 at a low price. I thought it would have a bit more viewing comfort with the larger objective and
8X should shake less, for a steadier view.

A few years ago Nikon brought out the Aculon T51 8x24, and so I wanted to give it a try. The
cost is around $130. US. It is a center hinge model, with a metal chassis, and it has a nice view
to the edges with a 6.2* FOV. There is a thread on the Nikon subforum about this model.

I quickly found the eye relief similar to my problem mentioned above, and the eyecups are fixed on
this model and do not adjust upward.

Here is what I did to remedy the situation, and it seems to work well, I used the rubber eyecups from
my 10x25 LXL and fitted them over the Aculons eyecups. This added around .5" to the eye relief and
now they fit me well and I can rest them against my eyes.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0964.JPG
    DSCN0964.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN0963.JPG
    DSCN0963.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 145
Ed:

You nailed it as why it is hard to like many of the pocket binoculars,
and that is inadequate eye relief. This is one case where it may be
better for a glasses user.

I don't wear glasses, and I don't like to hold any binocular away from
my face, as it is hard to hold steady, etc. I have used the eyebrow
brace with ones hands, but I like to jam the binocular into my eye sockets.

The Swaro. 8x25 CL has been mentioned, and I have tried one in a store.
It was also inadequate for me with not quite enough eye relief. Optically I can agree it is very good.

I will be posting about another binocular that I have found works well,
at the lower price end.

Jerry
"The Swaro. 8x25 CL has been mentioned, and I have tried one in a store.
It was also inadequate for me with not quite enough eye relief. Optically I can agree it is very good."

17mm of eye relief wasn't enough? That is one of the strong points of the 8x25 CL.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back