• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars around £1000 (2 Viewers)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hi all, for my 18th birthday my mum is going to get me some new binoculars and I believe the budget is around £1000 or a bit below. I'm looking for some binoculars that have little to no chromatic abberation, a sharp, bright image and are comfortable to hold. I think that I am after 10x42s as I have used 10x42s for over 2 years and have always preferred them over 8x's. I do not have a preference over whether they or new or used, but I hope to get down to an RSPB place sometime soon or a binocular store to have a look around, but I would also like opinions on what I should look at getting.

Kind regards
Evan

In my experience nothing can beat physically holding and looking through a pair of binoculars.
Some fantastic choices in that range, the RSPB binoculars are reasonably good value for the price.
It’s worth looking through second hand pairs of Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars which should be available near the top of your budget.

Good Luck and please report back on your eventual choice

Hi Evan,

There are a large number of threads covering this topic in the binocular forum, a quick search will probably give you a better idea of what to expect.

Used top end binoculars (as Mike mentions) are likely available for +/- £1k, and would offer the best value - buy once, cry once. There is no substitute for trying them yourself.

I'd recommend the following new options as good reference points:

Opticron Aurora
Zeiss Conquest HD
Leica Trinovid
Kowa Genesis

Hope this helps.

Hi Evan,

There are a large number of threads covering this topic in the binocular forum, a quick search will probably give you a better idea of what to expect.

Used top end binoculars (as Mike mentions) are likely available for +/- £1k, and would offer the best value - buy once, cry once. There is no substitute for trying them yourself.

I'd recommend the following new options as good reference points:

Opticron Aurora
Zeiss Conquest HD
Leica Trinovid
Kowa Genesis

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the options, I am very drawn to the Aurora 10x42s. I will have a look for some used Swarovski's or something along those lines, but if I can't find anything then I think I will go with the Aurora.

Evan

The generosity of my mum on my 18th birthday was how I ended up with my first decent telescope. It was certainly a generous gift, but having since become a parent, I think it is true to say that an early interest in birdwatching correlates well with general life success, and so if my children end up becoming birdwatchers I would happily buy them something expensive out of relief (also something for me to play with).

The obvious choice for me would be a second-hand Swarovski EL. The first editions now are very old, and sell for much more than they are actually worth. But you can get sometimes a newer Swarovision / FieldPro era selling for around £1,000, and that is what I would get.

Buying second-hand requires very close inspection. You will get 'pristine', 'as new' optics which are actually scratched to hell and in very poor condition. But you sometimes get examples which are truly almost as new and those are great value.

Then again, I had a lot of angst with my telescope when I was a university student and young adult in that I knew I would not be able to replace it if it was damaged. Perhaps it is better to get a mid-market binocular (e.g. the Aurora) and have some money left over.

The generosity of my mum on my 18th birthday was how I ended up with my first decent telescope. It was certainly a generous gift, but having since become a parent, I think it is true to say that an early interest in birdwatching correlates well with general life success, and so if my children end up becoming birdwatchers I would happily buy them something expensive out of relief (also something for me to play with).

The obvious choice for me would be a second-hand Swarovski EL. The first editions now are very old, and sell for much more than they are actually worth. But you can get sometimes a newer Swarovision / FieldPro era selling for around £1,000, and that is what I would get.

Buying second-hand requires very close inspection. You will get 'pristine', 'as new' optics which are actually scratched to hell and in very poor condition. But you sometimes get examples which are truly almost as new and those are great value.

Then again, I had a lot of angst with my telescope when I was a university student and young adult in that I knew I would not be able to replace it if it was damaged. Perhaps it is better to get a mid-market binocular (e.g. the Aurora) and have some money left over.
I did see the Swarovski EL 12x50s which I really like the look of and would certainly be good for me as I very much dislike carrying a scope around, but they are just a little too far out of my price range, even on places like eBay. It is very likely that I will be going for the auroras.

Evan

Evan, what a lovely gesture by your Mum.

You haven't mentioned style or a preferred brand and as you have alluded, a trip to a dealer or an RSPB reserve with an optics shop is by far the best way to see what suits you.

However, I would be most grateful if you would purchase these superb Habicht 10x40's before I am tempted and inevitably incurr the wrath of the holder of the purse. I wish she was as generous as your Mum!

I love Habichts and wish to complete my fleet but have just, this week, bought a pair of Nikon E II 8x30's from Steve at Nature Quest. A gentleman to deal with and if he says they are 'as new' he does himself a disservice. I suspect the Nikons were from the same collector as these Habichts and were pristine and the only difference twixt 'new' and 'as new' is a couple of hundred pounds. Swarovski's warranty is by serial number on registration.

Regardless of the traditional style, and the roof vs prism arguement, the Habichts are at the zenith of optical quality encased in a body of timeless elegance.

Appreciate that they are an aquired taste per say...... but what taste!

I can't recommend the Zeiss Conquest highly enough, in its price range - I have the fairly compact 8x32's. I guess if I could find a pair of Swaro's for a grand I'd be all over them. Kowa are nice too.

Second-hand prices vary a lot, but along with new prices they've risen quite a bit over the last year or two. You used to be able to get the 32mm Mk2 ELs for around £1000 if you didn't mind lugs rather than field pro, but they now seem to average £1100, and the 42mm tend to be a little more. The 10x42 SLCs are probably around 900-1000 and still excellent binoculars.

New wise it's harder to advise - I think the 8x32 Conquest are very good for their price, but wasn't so impressed by the 10s.

I’d stay away from eBay.

There are plenty of reputable sellers on eBay; it's not difficult to sort out the bad apples. As long as you ask the right questions - the answers to which will also give you an idea of what the seller is like - if the item turns out to be 'not as described' you qualify for a refund (including postage both ways).

With not-so-old optical items, I think the most important thing to ascertain is whether the manufacturers warranty is transferable. Not sure about others, but a Swarovski warranty is.

I second the used recommendation, but from a reputable source.

I’d stay away from eBay.
Ebay needs a little caution and research, I've sold all of my high end optics on there without problem, with good prices for the buyer.
If the buyer isn't happy with what they receive or the description is not accurate they are fully protected.

My vote is for the Nikon HG 10x42, wonderful feel in hand, great weight and size, very nice optics and thoroughly enjoyable by day or under the stars as well.

I vote for the Zeiss Conquest as well or try to get a nice used Swarovski. Good luck and happy birthday.
Actually I'm changing my vote. If you can swing it, save up for the Maven B2 9x45 or 11x45. They might be a little over-budget but I realized (re-realized?) these have Abbe Koenig prisms. You mention one of your use cases being "bright image". I think you will be very happy with them.

Here's a UK dealer

and in euro currency

I often keep an eye on the LCE second hand market, that price was a definite mistake.

LCE's used prices vary from one shop to another. I recently bought a used Gitzo head from them for half the normal used price; another store was showing the same model for twice the price.

Ok, a little update on my findings. My max budget is £800 (give or take maybe £20) which the Aurora's fall into albeit right at the very top. I'm still thinking of going for the 10x42 model, but I'm curious as to whether I should take a look at the 8x42 version as well. I might be able to get up to CleySpy soon or will have a look around near me to see if there are any in some shops that are a bit closer so I can check them out. Any other suggestions below £800 are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back