• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (9 Viewers)

Hi
I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping to visit the Castle Lake area this weekend - does anyone have any tips on the best place to park as I've not been there before. I'm aware of the hide and the potential to pay for access to a key(?), which i'd like to do.I also know the restrictions on not walking around the shoreline.
Any tips on this location gratefully received!
Thanks.

Castle lake etc

Chris,welcome to the Forum. The best place to park is next to the church on the south west side of the village.You will see a sign on the wall from Durham Bird Club detailing the area.Castle lake is good but also check out Fishburn Lake,Farnless Lake and the A1 Flashes all within walking distance :t:

Chris,welcome to the Forum. The best place to park is next to the church on the south west side of the village.You will see a sign on the wall from Durham Bird Club detailing the area.Castle lake is good but also check out Fishburn Lake,Farnless Lake and the A1 Flashes all within walking distance :t:

Thanks Andy.
I went out to the lake after I posted, so I'm pleased I parked in the right spot.

I went round the lake - I think it's a great place and I'll certainly be back. LRP was the highlight, but lots of lapwing, yellow wags, wheatear and a small distant sandpiper on one of the far flashes (smaller than the redshank it was with and probably a green sandpiper, but it was a very long way off). I also went along the track to what is probably a second parking area people use to visit the site and saw tree sparrow.

I drove to Farnless Farm and failed to see corn bunting, but had a close encounter with a little owl plus more tree sparrows. Finally at what might be Farnless Lake (it's the one right by the road that links Bishop Middleham to the A177) there was a really nice Greenshank, along with a couple of redshank and pair of shoveler.

So, a nice introduction to a really good spot. Can't believe I've not checked it out before. I was given some extra local knowledge by a friendly birder I met near the lake too.

Thanks
Chris

RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - Little Egret. Wildlife Watchpoint - Greenshank. Paddy's Pool - Common Tern x7, Med. Gull.

Cowpen Bewley W. Pk. - Nightingale was along Cowbridge Beck between the second and third bridges in hawthorns above the beck facing west. Singing loudly and giving occasional glimpses. Still present until at least 5.20pm.

Attachments

• IMG_0976a.jpg
    IMG_0976a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1022a.jpg
    IMG_1022a.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0740a.jpg
    IMG_0740a.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0620a.jpg
    IMG_0620a.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0449a.jpg
    IMG_0449a.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 73
So, a nice introduction to a really good spot. Can't believe I've not checked it out before. I was given some extra local knowledge by a friendly birder I met near the lake too.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,
That must have been me! Can't describe myself as a local but I'm usually there on any day that ends in the letter y ;)
Nice to meet you and glad you enjoyed your visit. :t:
I rarely come away disappointed, its one of those places where you just don't know what your going to find.
When I got back to the hide I noted singles of Dunlin, Common Sandpiper and a Greenshank made a brief stop and was probably the same bird you saw near Farnless Farm (not sure if I mentioned it but that area of water is known as Stoneybeck Lake after the road name).

Attachments

• bm30042011 003.jpg
    bm30042011 003.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 99
Rainton Meadows DWT Dawn Chorus Walk 04:30-07:30
65 species noted within parts of the Joes/Rms boundary
Those proclaiming territory included 8 species of warblers, Wrens & Robins well represented, but Song Thrush & Skylark few & far between
Also 2 each of Green Sandpiper & Little ringed Plover, 1Common Sand, GCGrebe, Gadwall, etc

Just had a walk from Castleside towards Muggleswick to catch up with the Pied Flycatcher - a very productive few hours. Along with unbelievably good views of the pair of Pied Flycatchers, also got a cracking view of a Redstart - first time I've seen either of these birds! And along the way other highlights for me were Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Green Woodpecker, Lesser Redpoll and Linnet.

Rainton Meadows DWT Dawn Chorus Walk 04:30-07:30
65 species noted within parts of the Joes/Rms boundary
Those proclaiming territory included 8 species of warblers, Wrens & Robins well represented, but Song Thrush & Skylark few & far between
Also 2 each of Green Sandpiper & Little ringed Plover, 1Common Sand, GCGrebe, Gadwall, etc

Green sandpiper in front of the freezer hide this afternoon until group of teenage yobs came into the hide with lager and dope and began sitting on the window sills outside of the hide. :C

Attachments

• green_sandpiper-00004.jpg
    green_sandpiper-00004.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 98
  • green_sandpiper-00006.jpg
    green_sandpiper-00006.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 92
Crimdon - Little Tern x20, Ringed Plover x8. Lots of Linnet, Skylark, Meadow Pipit. A few Sand Martins and Swallows.

Holme Fleet - Whimbrel x14.

RSPB Saltholme - Phil Stead Hide - Wood Sandpiper, Shoveler pair, Little Egret, Redshank, Lapwing.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - Nightingale still present this evening. Canada Geese x6 plus six newly hatched goslings on the lake. Jay and Peregrine.

Attachments

• IMG_1250a.jpg
    IMG_1250a.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1466a.jpg
    IMG_1466a.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1508aa.jpg
    IMG_1508aa.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1676bo.jpg
    IMG_1676bo.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1548ao.jpg
    IMG_1548ao.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 76
Green sandpiper in front of the freezer hide this afternoon until group of teenage yobs came into the hide with lager and dope and began sitting on the window sills outside of the hide. :C

Glad you got a good look at the GSand John, it was one you didn't have a decent pic of wasn't it ?

Pity your visit was spoiled !
This disturbance Seems to becoming more regular -
Mark Dinning was with us this morning, I passed on Kelvins observations on Friday - the sooner we get a secure door & shutters the better.

Yesterday -

Seaton Common - am - Yellow Wagtail x2, Linnet c.20, Stonechat pair, Whimbrel x2 on the beach.

Holme Fleet - Green Sandpiper x1, Common Tern x4 on the rafts, Whimbrel x7 though 23 this evening alongside A178 1/4 north of Seals Sands Roundabout.

Saline Lagoon - Avocet x27, Redshank x4, Oystercatcher x6, Shelduck x4 though 20+ on Tidal Pool. Common Tern x6 though no sign this evening.

Dormans Pool - Cetti's Wabler very vocal by top car park. Four-spot Chaser, and Common Blue Damselfly. Butterflies - Dingy Skpper 5-6, Small Copper, Common Blue male and female, Peacock, Wall Brown.

Nightingale still at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - singing well but seldom seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1927a.jpg
    IMG_1927a.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1858a.jpg
    IMG_1858a.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2097a.jpg
    IMG_2097a.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2220a.jpg
    IMG_2220a.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2258a.jpg
    IMG_2258a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 84
Cracking morning at Rainton Meadows with the drake SCAUP finally moving onto No2 from the Riverside, a brief Greenshank in front of the hide, 2 LRP's and a Common Sand. Also 8 species of warbler inc TWO Lesser Whitethroats (thanks to Stevie Evans) and at least 3 Garden Warblers (only Sedgie missed!! - one for dinnertime!!)

I only managed to get out for a couple of hours today, early morning and then again this evening.

Cowpen Marsh - am - Whimbrel 12+ 100m north-west of Seals Sands Road roundabout in centre of field. (still present this evening though much closer to Seal Sands Road)

RSPB Saltholme - Phil Stead Hide - Wood Sandpiper still.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - 8.10am - In addition to the Nightingale a Lesser Whitethroat was calling from bushes west of the bridge at the end of the boadwalk over Cowbridge Beck.

Saline Lagoon this evening - Avocet chicks x4. Three with one pair and a single with another. A different colour ringed adult Avocet seen this evening - also ringed here May 2010. Also Little ringed Plover x1, Redshank x2.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - 7.00 pm - Nightingale still singing this evening but not showing. Green Sandpiper on Cowbridge Beck just upstream from the bridge at the end of the boardwalk - it used to be a regular place for them on the small weir in Spring.

Attachments

• IMG_2662aa.jpg
    IMG_2662aa.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2675a.jpg
    IMG_2675a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3096aa.jpg
    IMG_3096aa.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3025a.jpg
    IMG_3025a.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3118aa.jpg
    IMG_3118aa.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 77
Additional warblers in to RMs over the last couple of days
At least 7 Garden, 3 Lesser Whitethroat & 8 Reed
Sedge Warbler still thin on the ground with only 3 males so far.

Good selection today with Little Owl, sparrowhawk, Scaup, Snipe, GCGrebe, 5 sp of gulls, 7 species of wader,

The Nightingale at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park was showing itself a little around 7.30 am this morning as it sang for several minutes whilst perched in a willow tree.

It's done this a few times on a morning. Terrible lighting for photos but the best views I've had of it perched.

A few record shots.

Attachments

• IMG_3325b.jpg
    IMG_3325b.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3411a.jpg
    IMG_3411a.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3358b.jpg
    IMG_3358b.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3347a.jpg
    IMG_3347a.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3389a.jpg
    IMG_3389a.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 63
No sign of Scaup at Rainton Meadows this morning. But did see Sedge Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler last night to make it all 9 warblers seen in the same day!! Managed 69 species in the four visits in the 24 hour period - yet still missed 'relatively' easy species of Coal and Willow Tit, Curlew and LEO!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back