• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Kenya solo birding trip in Feb. 24; (1 Viewer)

Hi guys,
That last black friday changed my plans for my next destination.
I was decided to try a Singapore & Malaysia first trip, but at the end I just found interesting flights to a totally different destination, and now Kenya should be my first eastern africa birding adventure.
I gonna try to make a self driving, not guided and camping cheap in or near National parks combined with some hotels.
Also It Will be shorter than I spected (ten days the whole trip) but due to the high cost of the NP fees, I decided to enjoy the experience even if I just have a soft first approach to this huge Wild paradise.
I gonna rent an Toyota RAV 4, 4x4 and with great reviews with pictures in Google.
My plans are visit that areas staying 1-2 nights in each one.
1 Nairobi NP
2 Castle forest Lodge (Mount Kenya)
3 Samburu & Buffalo springs (Shaba)
4 NaKuru & Naivasha
5 Ngong forest(near Nairobi)
May be i'll let the Nairobi NP for the last part of the trip, and if I still have enough time, try the ngong reserve the last morning.
I'm not clear where stay in Samburu, because river campsite is really affordable place inside the reserve, but i'm not sure if could visit buffalo springs or I'll need to buy another ticket, in that case I'll need stay at lions cave outside, and It seems to me is less Wild and I'll loose calls and roars at night.
To go to Nakuru from Samburu not sure about which Road should be better, but more in the safety Point of view(than the birding in Route) because is a long drive.
Other concerns are about safety driving and in general, If the credit cards are the best way to pay in NP entrance fees and gas stations or cash could be the best way to pay, and any advice and tip you want share with me Will be wellcome.
Thankyou , BEST travels and Happy new Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back