• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Site advice for Northumberland coast (1 Viewer)

Paul Brooks

Hi,
I have a nice few days ahead of me here on the Northumberland coast and I'm looking to make the most of it so would anyone have any local tips or site advice for me? Specifically I'd like to get stuck into some gulls but clearly it being half way into August it would be nice to get onto some migrants or a seawatch if things have a chance of hotting up a little.

Anyway, I'm looking for a little local knowledge. For example, at Budle Bay I'm guessing that it's best on the rising tide, is that the case? Is it worth me yomping about on Holy Island for a day? For a seawatch is there any local advice?

Cheers for any advice folks.

ps - I don't need the Farne Island Bridled Term! :)

Worth checking the Northumberland thread in the local section of this forum,and also the Northumberland and Tyneside bird club web site - http://www.ntbc.org.uk/

I'm not so good with gulls but there are many good sites along the coast. Newbiggin beach has Med gulls and usually a range of others, with the advantage that church point, north of Newbiggin bay is good or sea watching. Castle Island on the River Wansbeck usually has large numbers of gulls and is often good for passage waders (it's a small island and mud flats not far upstream from the last weir on the river before the sea).

For me, Holy Island is always worth a day's yomp!

And the string of sites between Cresswell and Amble make for a great day on the coast (Cresswell pond, Druridge pools, East Chevington, Hauxley, Amble braid)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back