• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon sx50 help (1 Viewer)

Hi my name is aaron and im trying to decide which is the best camera the sx50 or the sony hx200v as when i had a look at them in jessops the sx50 has a poor evf and then when i asked for a jessops worker opion on which camera out of the fuji hs30,sx50 and sony would be the best for bird/wildlife photogaphy he said the sony as it has fsat af,fast burst mode and better image quality at 18.2 megapixels and now im so confused of which one to get for xmas? help

All I can say is that I am a Sony fan and if the Sony was the best I would have got the Sony, but I have got the Canon SX40 and at this moment in time were I to upgrade I would get the Canon SX50.

If you notice, here there are plenty of threads on the Canon SX40 & SX50, there are also plenty of Threads on the Panasonic FZ150 and FZ200. There are few threads on the Sony hx200v. It is you who has to take the decision though and you have already been asking people here on other threads and I can't see that they can offer you any more advice.

Hi Birdking. I've been following the various photography threads as I hope to pick up one of these super zooms in the future. I think Speckled Wood has summed it up perfectly. There seems to be a far greater following for the Pannys, Canons and, perhaps to a lesser extent, the HS30. Check out those threads and look at the quality of the photographs. Roy C, Ian F etc have all produced great results. If I was looking now I think I'd head straight to check out the Canon and FZ200. But, as SW pointed out, only you can choose. Have a play araound and see which one suits you best.

Rich

Ok cheers i have a look in the shop again and have a good play around with them i do love the canon but the evf puts me off

It is a poor viewfinder, if there was a way to fit a better eye relief that might have improved things. The viewfinder in the Fuji HS20 is quite a lot better but sadly the Fuji is not as good a camera for birding.

Before making a final decision it will be worth your while looking at the Panasonic FZ200, it does only offer a 24x zoom but the users of it do seem to be happy with the results that they get. I would not concern yourself too much with the higher megapixel numbers of the fuji and the sony as often there do not seem to be any real gains in image quality with higher mega pixel numbers on the smaller sensors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back