• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement for my FZ300 (1 Viewer)

JLRamos

just a birder
Spain
Hi everyone. My camera I have been using has been a Panasonic lumix dmc-fz300.

Last Sunday, after changing the battery, I did not check the strap attachment and the camera ended up falling and hitting the ground. As a result, the stabilizer is damaged and the photos are blurred.

I wanted to see what cameras with similar characteristics you recommend.

I use the camera almost exclusively to help me identify birds and, and only when the bird seems very, very willing to pose do I stop to recreate myself a bit. I am not very fond of photography and therefore I prefer the comfort and tolerance of the equipment to my lack of attention.

I liked the FZ300's reliability, ease of use, and fast enough, as well as the size that makes it comfortable for me on my birding trails.

My desired budget is around € 500. For that cost I can get a new FZ300 which is my first intention as I feel comfortable with it. But before doing so I thought about asking for advice regarding alternative options.

Thanks and best regards

I would not fault you for sticking to what you know. In the Nikon section there are some threads about p900/p950/p1000 cameras that some people love.

As I shoot a m4/3 system I cannot really compare those with your camera.
Niels

Hi everyone. My camera I have been using has been a Panasonic lumix dmc-fz300.

Last Sunday, after changing the battery, I did not check the strap attachment and the camera ended up falling and hitting the ground. As a result, the stabilizer is damaged and the photos are blurred.

I wanted to see what cameras with similar characteristics you recommend.

I use the camera almost exclusively to help me identify birds and, and only when the bird seems very, very willing to pose do I stop to recreate myself a bit. I am not very fond of photography and therefore I prefer the comfort and tolerance of the equipment to my lack of attention.

I liked the FZ300's reliability, ease of use, and fast enough, as well as the size that makes it comfortable for me on my birding trails.

My desired budget is around € 500. For that cost I can get a new FZ300 which is my first intention as I feel comfortable with it. But before doing so I thought about asking for advice regarding alternative options.

Thanks and best regards

I had the FZ330 and didn't realise how good it was, in certain situations, until I bought the Nikon P950. At close range on a bright day, you will get at least as a good an image; but what the Nikon P950 gives you is the extra zoom which in my opinion really does give you more of a chance in most situations.

The Nikon P900 is broadly the same camera and you could pick one up for maybe 400 quid? I think that's good value when you consider it has 3 times the zoom of the FZ330. It's very easy to use also.

I’m always looking out for an answer to this question - the replacement for the FZ300. I actually got rid of a Sony RX v (the latest) before now, because I found it’s slow motion video system somewhat incomprehensible. The answer to this question draws me from a movie perspective - I want a camera for moving film with sound, not so much still pictures. Weight and portability are very important - however, I often carry more than 2 cameras and would rather not. The Nikon FZ950 seems to come close but the focussing precision for moving objects has been panned. The FZ1000 and above are heavier - if Panasonic could convince me that the 2500 has the equivalent of 24x zoom I’d consider it. I have used a zoom extension lens of about 1.7x - it can take some time to put it on and remove in a rush. Really pleased with results. Until something equivalent or better comes along, I just repair and keep the FZ300 going but will take a keen interest in alternative suggestions. Pay attention Panasonic.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back