• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Blue...Daneway Banks... (1 Viewer)

username

Anyone happen to know if this species is out at this location yet...?

I know that they are in Somerset but haven't heard anything from Gloucestershire as yet...

Any help appreciated...B :)

ps....any info on interesting orchids in the area would be appreciated too...:cat:

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Since the 19th per Bug Alert. 9 today, so not huge numbers yet.

Also a warning on there that collectors may be working the site. Good grief.

More convenient to get to than Collard Hill for most, though.

Since the 19th per Bug Alert. 9 today, so not huge numbers yet.

Also a warning on there that collectors may be working the site. Good grief.

More convenient to get to than Collard Hill for most, though.

Flippin collectors...they make my blood boil...:C

Thanks for the info though...[and you Simon]...:t:

Hopefully the Large Blue numbers are low thus far because of the rather cool weather recently and not because b*stard collectors are taking them...!

All the best....!

ps...any further updates from anyone would be great...[regards numbers on the wing]...

Might give it another week or so....:cat:

Hi Colin
I went on Tuesday and saw 9. I also heard people talking about someone with a net. I'm obviously naive but I had no idea that's still going on. I guess the best protection at the banks is a regular procession of folks with cameras and if you see anyone with a net grab it and sling it in the nearest clump of brambles.
cheers
Neil

Hi Colin
I went on Tuesday and saw 9. I also heard people talking about someone with a net. I'm obviously naive but I had no idea that's still going on. I guess the best protection at the banks is a regular procession of folks with cameras and if you see anyone with a net grab it and sling it in the nearest clump of brambles.
cheers
Neil

I think that if i saw someone with a net i'd be tempted to shove it somewhere other than in a clump of brambles Neil....:cat:

Saw a couple of guys with nets last year at Daneway Banks...when I challenged them they claimed they were studying Moths...which i treated with some skepticism...
No doubt they were back on-site as soon as I'd left...
B*stards!

Do you think you can id micros in flight? People may well have genuine reasons for using a net. You should find out first before you go insulting/assaulting them.

Do you think you can id micros in flight? People may well have genuine reasons for using a net. You should find out first before you go insulting/assaulting them.

Indeed.

On a different point, it is interesting to note the very high proportion of butterfly species with protection notwithstanding the fact that the catastrophic declines caused by wholesale habitat destruction and significant pesticide use have gone largely unchecked.

To me, public popularity and newsworthiness seem perhaps more important in the protection of an introduced alien subspecies than a real interest in preserving overall native biodiversity?

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_law.php

I know that's a horribly cynical perspective but I really do think that people are giving up on preserving small bits of unremarkable habitat and preservation of that habitat is the only real way to halt significant declines.

All the best

Last edited:
Indeed.

On a different point, it is interesting to note the very high proportion of butterfly species with protection notwithstanding the fact that the catastrophic declines caused by wholesale habitat destruction and significant pesticide use have gone largely unchecked.

To me, public popularity and newsworthiness seem perhaps more important in the protection of an introduced alien subspecies than a real interest in preserving overall native biodiversity?

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_law.php

I know that's a horribly cynical perspective but I really do think that people are giving up on preserving small bits of unremarkable habitat and preservation of that habitat is the only real way to halt significant declines.

All the best

Re your link...

I must admit that i'm a tad surprised how few UK butterflies have full protection under the law...and surprised also by the partially protected species...:cat:

Last year i found some clouded yellows locally and this guy turned up in the area with a net. I didn't confront the man as he could just have been 'sweeping' for micros or whatever. Had i seen him netting a clouded yellow i would have confronted him but legally...would he be allowed to do this...?

Forgive my naivety on this subject....!

As far as I am aware, no general protection afforded to Clouded Yellow. I don't collect so have never looked at it really. There are certainly issues related to site protection and ownership of the land, permission, etc irrespective of species.

My comment was really about the high proportion of overall butterfly species protected in say comparison to other invertebrate groups.

(A legitimate response may be to compare (hopefully historic) collecting pressure on butterflies as the reason for that - in comparison to other invertebrates - and cite for instance Great Crested Grebe and the original formation of the RSPB?)

All the best

Last edited:
Do you think you can id micros in flight? People may well have genuine reasons for using a net

Possible...but a strange co-incidence that all of the instances of "mother's" allegedly studying day-flying micro's have occurred at sites with rare/interesting Butterflies and during their peak flight season and none at any of other reserves/habitats/sites i've visited over the years...

Possible...but a strange co-incidence that all of the instances of "mother's" allegedly studying day-flying micro's have occurred at sites with rare/interesting Butterflies and during their peak flight season and none at any of other reserves/habitats/sites i've visited over the years...[/QUOTE

When you're in Kent and you do see someone with a net please say hi! I regularly sweep for micros and will be happy to show what I find

Regards

James

Possible...but a strange co-incidence that all of the instances of "mother's" allegedly studying day-flying micro's have occurred at sites with rare/interesting Butterflies and during their peak flight season and none at any of other reserves/habitats/sites i've visited over the years...

Jasonbirder

I believe that is far more a reflection of your experience and knowledge than anything else. How long have you been studying invertebrates?

Those reserves tend to be quite good for the other 98% of British lepidoptera perhaps?

I think the first time I was approached by someone with an ill-informed prejudice about people carrying nets was in 1993. I'll also happily net macros and butterflies for identification.

Of course, this is in no way an endorsement of pointless repetitive collecting.

All the best

Last edited:
Many of my friends sweep about with nets...indeed i myself have on occasion swept for Clearwings...[totally unsuccessfully i might add]...:smoke:

Those folks who may have been using nets at Daneway Banks may well be totally innocent of any attempts to collect Large Blues but where such a rare species is involved a certain amount of paranoia on behalf of concerned observers is, i think, quite natural...?

Collectors...[i would imagine]...are generally not stupid and would know about presenting an outward legitimate 'cover' so one has to be a tad careful when assessing what someone is actually doing at a sensitive site..[whether a rare butterfly or rare breeding bird location]...

If i can i will always watch over anyone who i think may have intentions other than innocent ones as my natural instinct is to be suspicious of humans and protect wildlife...[so yes...i am a bit paranoid]...:cat:

The alternative is to be naive....

On a lighter note...here's a pic of Large Blue from the other day...what a marvelous creature...!

Attachments

• 040 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    040 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 80
You can't always assume people with nets are after the rare species at the site...but they probably are.

There are some good diverse sweeping sites around though that just happen to have a rare butterfly around.

Isn't Collard Hill wardened, I'm sure it was ten years ago when I was last there? RSPB have a lot a free labour toiling on their books, they should lend some of it to such sites to warden and monitor.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back