• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Butterfly or Moth? (1 Viewer)

TerryH

I saw this in the garden on Sunday it was about 1" long doe's anyone know what it is called. Never seen one like it before.

Sorry about quality of photo but had to photo in a jar.. only way could keep it still.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 287
Looks like a cinnabar moth (Tyria jacobaeae). They are reasonably common throughout Europe, but are mainly a night flying moth.

I had one in my Kitchen on saturday, managed some nice photos too, they are an absolutly stunning moth to look at, the colours are so vivid.

Yes it is Cinnabar. These moths are diurnal in Suffolk, often seen laying eggs on the Ragwort which is their food plant.

CJ

Thanks for the info everyone. It was the vivid colours that caught my attention will look out for them more.

It was me who said they are mainly nocturnal. I've looked in a couple of moth books both of which confirm what I say, although they also say that they can be disturbed during the day and are (of course) very visible.

I remember being fascinated by these as a child in the mid 60s but never knew what they were then.

Spent ages watching them whilst wandering through the sand dunes at Hayle in Cornwall, I recall a whirring buzzing sound being associated with them as they took off, which spooked me a little at first - but I might be mistaken about that.

Malky

Yup
I saw one today too. Thats what it is. Thats what they feed on ( Ragwort ), I believe it makes them poisonous if eaten?.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back