• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Komz 8X30 and Komz 10X50 ? (1 Viewer)

stol2004

Hi guys!

I need your expert opinions again :)
I have read in this forum about the brand Komz being very well rated.
After a small search in internet i think i have found 2 pairs of Komz's. The owner claims are never used and they come in boxes as showed in the pictures .
7X50 he wants 60€ and for 8X30 he asks 40€

I would buy both if they you guys would recommend me to do it. Are these models also as good as the well known Komz 10X42?
Better yet, are these 2 models Komz? :)
Any experience with these 2 models?

Thanks again :) !

Attachments

• 10_-505553756.jpg
    10_-505553756.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 794
  • 29_164815660.jpg
    29_164815660.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 929
The 8x30 is the well-known "Russian 8x30", sold by the thousand last century. Sharp, but fairly yellow image. Wideangle (150/1000m), not suitable for spectacle wearers, very robust. The 7x50 I don't know, it looks to be somewhat newer though. I'd expect it to have decent optics (sharp, probably also somewhat yellow image). The prices seem reasonable.

Compared to the 10x42 ... Well, if you mean the Baigish 10x42 (IF, military issue, as shown on Holger's website: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kronos10x50.html) is a different animal altogether, with a unique eyepiece with very high sharpness right to the edge and a *very* yellow image. It's also one of the most rugged binoculars I know and can be used by spectacle wearers no problem at all.

Hermann

Hi guys!

I need your expert opinions again :)
I have read in this forum about the brand Komz being very well rated.
After a small search in internet i think i have found 2 pairs of Komz's. The owner claims are never used and they come in boxes as showed in the pictures .
7X50 he wants 60€ and for 8X30 he asks 40€

I would buy both if they you guys would recommend me to do it. Are these models also as good as the well known Komz 10X42?
Better yet, are these 2 models Komz? :)
Any experience with these 2 models?

Thanks again :) !

Hi,

Send me pictures of this binoculars where inscriptions and I'll tell you what factory produced them.
Why did you decide to buy optics from the USSR?
Why do you need binoculars, objects of observation?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Serial numbers please.
8x30 could be this century? Probably hundreds of thousands produced.

7x50 Tento?
10x50 Soviet probably better.

Try 30 euros each if perfect.
40 not excessive though nowadays.

10x42 worth more.

I have used all.

Last edited:
The 2 binoculars are sold already to another person ...but I went in a second hand shop and found a pair of Kronos Zoom 12X40 in super shape (55€) and the owner gave me for free a pair of KMOZ 8X30 also in very good shape.
Both are very sharp but with a slightly warm tint which doesnt really bother me.
serial on Kmoz 8X30 is 6703570
I dont see any serial number on Kronos

Attachments

• _DSC2661.jpg
    _DSC2661.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • _DSC2663.jpg
    _DSC2663.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 643
  • _DSC2666.jpg
    _DSC2666.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 701
  • _DSC2667.jpg
    _DSC2667.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 913
. Well done.
Both are early, the 8×30 binocular is from 1967 I think single coated?
The 12×40 is usually an excellent binocular but with short eye relief possibly shorter than the 8×30?
The 12×40 seems to be the first version. It has a wide field if you don't wear glasses. One probably can't use it wearing glasses. It is not a zoom that is the name of the factory.
Some of these two types of binocular have very finely made optics although they do vary.
And there are export versions, home consumer versions and military versions.

If they are optically in good condition and well collimated the price is good.

Pity about the unused 8×30.

The 2 binoculars are sold already to another person ...but I went in a second hand shop and found a pair of Kronos Zoom 12X40 in super shape (55€) and the owner gave me for free a pair of KMOZ 8X30 also in very good shape.
Both are very sharp but with a slightly warm tint which doesnt really bother me.
serial on Kmoz 8X30 is 6703570
I dont see any serial number on Kronos

Pictured:
first binoculars KOMZ BPP 8x30, year 1967, a single coated of magnesium fluoride. Optics good, the picture is good, slightly yellow.

second binoculars ZOMZ BPB1 12x40, year unknown, a single coated of magnesium fluoride. Optics good, the natural picture.

Buy, you will not regret

Pictured:
first binoculars KOMZ BPP 8x30, year 1967, a single coated of magnesium fluoride. Optics good, the picture is good, slightly yellow.

second binoculars ZOMZ BPB1 12x40, year unknown, a single coated of magnesium fluoride. Optics good, the natural picture.

Buy, you will not regret

Ty, i already bought them and im out trying them and love Both. I tested komz 8x30 against Habicht 8x30 and it was far better than the Swarowski. Indeed against the light at night the both flare but is decent . My CZ and minolta lenses flare more with better coatings...
Im very pleased with both.
Tommorrow im gonna try an Admiral Marine 10x42 i guess. Found it for a very good price

. Looking at one of the two 12×40 Soviet binoculars that I have.

This one is later than the one in your picture I think, and has the serial number in white numerals on the bottom of the spindle or axle. This one is from 1975 and is multicoated on several surfaces and even amazingly on the prisms. The other surfaces are uncoated.
As with many Soviet and Russian binoculars the coating colours are slightly different in each barrel. But basically these are handbuilt high quality binoculars and I rather like the notion of slightly different colour coatings especially as or astronomy it makes little difference.

This one is marked BIN I think either in Russian or Ukrainian? Then 12×40 and underneath made in USSR on the left rear cover. However, there is nothing at all on the right rear cover.

The eyepieces seem to be five element Erfles with possibly concave surfaces near to the eyes. I like these binoculars a lot although one of the two binoculars is not collimated properly. So I only use one. Also any colour cast doesn't matter much to me for astronomy or general viewing. They have a very nice widefield.

Last edited:
. Do you mean Minolta camera lenses or binoculars?
Usually, Minolta camera lenses, at least the primes, are excellent regarding flare.
However, Minolta binoculars are not noted for great coatings, although the Activa large binoculars are very good.

. Do you mean Minolta camera lenses or binoculars?
Usually, Minolta camera lenses, at least the primes, are excellent regarding flare.
However, Minolta binoculars are not noted for great coatings, although the Activa large binoculars are very good.

I meant minolta camera lenses. I have the whole serie '' beercan'' minolta (metal built ) since they were sharing their glass with leica in the same factory.
Im blown away by the quality of zoom 12x40. After you learn to use it properly is amazing!

. The beer can Minolta is I think the long zoom autofocus lens.
This has many lens elements and is probably the reason for the flare.
Although I have a few autofocus lenses my main ones are the MC and MD lenses and in their time they were amongst the best regarding flare.
Although some of the Leica lenses were indeed made by Minolta you cannot really say that it was in any way a Leica factory. Minolta produced 150 different glass types in their own factory and Leica used some of their designs, for instance I think the fisheye and a few others for their own cameras. Maybe the Leica CL, I think, and the Minolta equivalent use similar lenses?
But apparently, Leica quality tested the lenses made by Minolta and rejected quite a few on an individual basis.
Also the Minolta XE and similar Leica cameras were not identical.

Apparently, some of the old and relatively very low-priced second-hand Minolta lenses including maybe the beer can lens can be fantastic on full frame very high pixel digital cameras such as the Sony 7R. In fact, may be better than the new Sony or even Zeiss lenses purpose made for this camera.

Also you cannot really compare flare characteristics in binoculars and lenses as they are used for different purposes.

Yes, the 12×40 is very nice.
I also used the Baigish 12×45 for 10 years as my main binocular. Although it has small eye relief this does not matter to me as I don't wear glasses with binoculars. And this also has a wide field of 5.5° which is perhaps slightly less than 12×40.

. At 3 AM this morning I tested 2 Soviet/Russian binoculars. It was a transparent and clear sky.

The 12×40 has a field of 5.75° with an accuracy better than 1%.
The 12×45 has a field of 5.55° with a similar accuracy.

The weight of the 12×40 is just under 880 g.
The weight of the 12×45 is just under 820 g.

I prefer the smaller body and lower weight of the 12×45 but the 12×40 is a fine binocular particularly when multicoated.

I also tested the 6×25 Karl Stein binocular mentioned elsewhere on the binocular forum and the field is 11.41° i.e. 11.4° which is pretty good considering it is marked 11.5°.

Buy, you will not regret

Alexej:

I've got a 12x40 as well. Marked on the left "12x40 105m/1000m", on the right "Kronos Made in Russia". No serial number. My 12x40 is IF, there's a reticle in the right barrel. There are a couple of pictures of that binocular on Holger's website: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kronos10x50.html. Good optics, not as yellow as some other Russian binoculars I know (and far less yellow than my Baigish 7x30).

What is interesting about this binocular is that the prism covers are carefully waterproofed with a sticky, blackish stuff, presumably some sort of tar. Zeiss Jena used to do that with some binoculars as well, for instance the Pentekarem 15x50.

I presume my 12x40 is a military model (based on the reticle). Any idea how old that is? It must be a bit younger than the 12x40 shown earlier in the thread because it says "Made in Russia" on the prism covers not "Made in USSR".

Hermann

Alexej:

I've got a 12x40 as well. Marked on the left "12x40 105m/1000m", on the right "Kronos Made in Russia". No serial number. My 12x40 is IF, there's a reticle in the right barrel. There are a couple of pictures of that binocular on Holger's website: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kronos10x50.html. Good optics, not as yellow as some other Russian binoculars I know (and far less yellow than my Baigish 7x30).

What is interesting about this binocular is that the prism covers are carefully waterproofed with a sticky, blackish stuff, presumably some sort of tar. Zeiss Jena used to do that with some binoculars as well, for instance the Pentekarem 15x50.

I presume my 12x40 is a military model (based on the reticle). Any idea how old that is? It must be a bit younger than the 12x40 shown earlier in the thread because it says "Made in Russia" on the prism covers not "Made in USSR".

Hermann
mine are from 1970. i a m amazed about the iq ...
yours are the newer version and are weaker optical.

Some later Kronos 20 x 60 are inferior to earlier Soviet ones by a significant margin. I have several and none are really good, whereas specially made Soviet 20x60s are extraordinarily good and normal production ones are good.The factory was in dissaray after breakup. They also may not have serial numbers. The Soviets financially supported binoculars, this stopped.
However, if made from Soviet era stock prisms and lenses they can still be good. But optics made well after breakup are very shoddy.
Kronos EWAs are mechanically and optically not good but were the only EWAs made a few years ago. I don't know if still made.
The tar is used in many Russian/Soviet binoculars for sealing all the optics and apparently works well.

New glasses were, however, available, so maybe new Kronos are not so yellow.

A full array of reticle, non reticle, different coatings including silly Ruby and different finishes were available commercially, so maybe military, maybe not.
I don't know about late 12x40s. They may have sufficient old stocks of parts to still be good.

The 7x30 and/or 10x42 had, I think, 8 and then 7 element eyepieces of unusual design.

The Kronos 12 x 40 and others without serial number are probably after 1990. They are sometimes marked with two numbers, say 91 on spindle, which gives rough date, but not as reliable as ones with serial numbers.

Last edited:
The 7x30 and/or 10x42 had, I think, 8 and then 7 element eyepieces of unusual design.

And pretty unusual properties, like extreme sharpness at the very edge but lots of RB. You'll find some more information on the eyepieces of the 7x30 on Holger's website.

The Kronos 12 x 40 and others without serial number are probably after 1990. They are sometimes marked with two numbers, say 91 on spindle, which gives rough date, but not as reliable as ones with serial numbers.

OK, that sounds about right. Mine is pretty good optically, with a decent sweetspot and high sharpness. Contrast isn't really very good though, probably due to the relatively simple coatings. Mechanically they're very good, even though the eyepieces turn very easily, a common feature of Russian IF binoculars, possibly to make sure they work in very low temperatures.

Maybe Alexej knows a bit more. The Russian website of the manufacturer isn't really all that helpful.

Hermann

And pretty unusual properties, like extreme sharpness at the very edge but lots of RB. You'll find some more information on the eyepieces of the 7x30 on Holger's website.

OK, that sounds about right. Mine is pretty good optically, with a decent sweetspot and high sharpness. Contrast isn't really very good though, probably due to the relatively simple coatings. Mechanically they're very good, even though the eyepieces turn very easily, a common feature of Russian IF binoculars, possibly to make sure they work in very low temperatures.

Maybe Alexej knows a bit more. The Russian website of the manufacturer isn't really all that helpful.

Hermann

Hi Hermann,
I know almost everything about the Soviet optics, passed through my hands more 100 Soviet and Russian binos.
Please send to me real questions and I'll answer them.

Using link http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kronos10x50.html I can say that all modern Russian binos, it's bullshit compared to Chinese manufacturer that produce binos for Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold. If you fight in eastern Ukraine, you need a powerful and reliable binoculars will withstand all the trials of the Civil War. This may be a Kronos BP (or B-12-1) and etc.
Japanese binoculars 70s excellent proven themselves in combat in eastern Ukraine.
Plastic binos costs $30-50 dollars crumpled or tumble down after the first mortar fire.

My verdict, do not buy modern Russian binos, except Kronos BP (or B-12-1) and etc.
Buy binos USSR production 70-80s which were produced for export.
Best buy wonderful binos Minolta series standard, B&L series legacy and etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
. Regarding Russian binoculars after the breakup of the Soviet Union. The factories were left floundering without state support.
So they reduced the quality of the optics and also the quality-control both by substantial amounts. They probably still have the ability to produce fine optics but could not commercially compete as they were basically hand assembled and handmade.
However, to say that Chinese binoculars are better is in my opinion just not true.
There was wholesale dumping of Chinese goods including binoculars, with I think a main aim being to destroy other countries optical industries. In many cases these early Chinese binoculars were basically throwaway binoculars as if you even bumped them they would lose collimation and be useless. They may look good externally but they are in fact not much use at all.
The worst Chinese binoculars are worse than anything any country has ever produced. Even the slightly better cheap end binoculars have a reject rate of 50% or so. In other words 50% and in some cases 98% of these Chinese binoculars sold should have gone straight to the garbage and never left the factory. In many cases there seems to be no quality control whatsoever.
The 98% rejects apply to tiny binoculars with 100 times magnification. You would be lucky to find 2% that work near the top magnification.
I've seen and carefully examined a 10×50 Chinese binocular in the local supermarket that is without doubt the worst binocular I've ever seen. It was being sold for £10 but you would need to give me £10 to take it. I should probably have bought it just to show how terrible a binocular can be. No Russian binocular, however bad, could reach this nadir.

And there are still some Russian or ex-satellite country binoculars that are very useful and interesting.
For instance, the Yukon 30×50 binocular that uses mirrors instead of prisms has extremely high resolution and easily out resolves the Canon 18×50.
In addition, the Yukon spotting scope 6x to 100×100 mm is a very useful lightweight spotting scope that is easily supported on a good quality 2.5 kg photographic tripod. It is fully usable at 100 times. It is a folded refractor and unusual design. It uses mirrors not prisms. I think that it is important to test one of these before you buy it as Yukon products vary quite a bit in quality. I'm not sure which satellite country they are made in and they may use Chinese glass rather than Russian.
And even the modern 8×30 is probably very useful even if not up to the quality of older versions.

As to the Minolta standard binoculars. I used the 10×50 as my main binocular for 15 years. Its main asset is its very wide field of view, but good modern binoculars are better in most respects except that they don't have this very wide field of view. It is certainly not up to military standards as regards ruggedness.
It is pity that an updated version of the Minolta standard is not produced with modern coatings and the same extra wide-angle field.

Chinese binoculars made for people like Nikon etc are very good and good value and Chinese optics are often very good nowadays. But there is still an awful lot of junk being made in China.

. Regarding Russian binoculars after the breakup of the Soviet Union. The factories were left floundering without state support.
So they reduced the quality of the optics and also the quality-control both by substantial amounts. They probably still have the ability to produce fine optics but could not commercially compete as they were basically hand assembled and handmade.
However, to say that Chinese binoculars are better is in my opinion just not true.
There was wholesale dumping of Chinese goods including binoculars, with I think a main aim being to destroy other countries optical industries. In many cases these early Chinese binoculars were basically throwaway binoculars as if you even bumped them they would lose collimation and be useless. They may look good externally but they are in fact not much use at all.
The worst Chinese binoculars are worse than anything any country has ever produced. Even the slightly better cheap end binoculars have a reject rate of 50% or so. In other words 50% and in some cases 98% of these Chinese binoculars sold should have gone straight to the garbage and never left the factory. In many cases there seems to be no quality control whatsoever.
The 98% rejects apply to tiny binoculars with 100 times magnification. You would be lucky to find 2% that work near the top magnification.
I've seen and carefully examined a 10×50 Chinese binocular in the local supermarket that is without doubt the worst binocular I've ever seen. It was being sold for £10 but you would need to give me £10 to take it. I should probably have bought it just to show how terrible a binocular can be. No Russian binocular, however bad, could reach this nadir.

And there are still some Russian or ex-satellite country binoculars that are very useful and interesting.
For instance, the Yukon 30×50 binocular that uses mirrors instead of prisms has extremely high resolution and easily out resolves the Canon 18×50.
In addition, the Yukon spotting scope 6x to 100×100 mm is a very useful lightweight spotting scope that is easily supported on a good quality 2.5 kg photographic tripod. It is fully usable at 100 times. It is a folded refractor and unusual design. It uses mirrors not prisms. I think that it is important to test one of these before you buy it as Yukon products vary quite a bit in quality. I'm not sure which satellite country they are made in and they may use Chinese glass rather than Russian.
And even the modern 8×30 is probably very useful even if not up to the quality of older versions.

As to the Minolta standard binoculars. I used the 10×50 as my main binocular for 15 years. Its main asset is its very wide field of view, but good modern binoculars are better in most respects except that they don't have this very wide field of view. It is certainly not up to military standards as regards ruggedness.
It is pity that an updated version of the Minolta standard is not produced with modern coatings and the same extra wide-angle field.

Chinese binoculars made for people like Nikon etc are very good and good value and Chinese optics are often very good nowadays. But there is still an awful lot of junk being made in China.

Ukrainian optical enterprises produce optical devices only for military purposes in small quantities, optical civilian devices died in the mid-90s.
Russian optical enterprises produce optical devices and saved production base, technology in the mid-90s.
Chinese manufacturing companies such as Kunming, United Optics and etc. produces perfect optical products, with a full cycle of production and application of multilayer optical coated.
Little Known Chinese manufacturing companies:
http://www.mloptic.com/English/contact/contact.asp
http://www.jnoec.com/en/contact.asp

Yukon 30 × 50 used in combat in eastern Ukraine, the reviews are very bad.
I have the Canon 10x42, 15x50 and tell you they have an amazing sharpness and 3D image in contrast to the Belarusian junk Yukon 30 × 50.
In Canon 10x42, 15x50 you will see more details and situation than in Yukon 30 × 50 on a tripod.
The actual fighting in the east of Ukraine proved that detection and identification of the object is the main task before striking.
Come to Ukraine and you see everything, I'll arrange a tour of a few optical enterprises.

Ukrainian market of binoculars has a lot of vendors, from cheap Chinese fake to Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Swarovski, Leica, Carl Zeiss, etc.
By the way, how do you feel about binoculars that were made in the 70-80s in Hong Kong and Macau?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back