• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D Error 99 (2 Viewers)

Macswede

Macswede
Shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to <OFF> and<ON> again or re-install the battery.

Anyone recognize this Error 99 message? Came up today while I was shooting juvenile Red-backed Shrikes. Tried blowing away dust etc in the battery compartment but nothing seems to help. Sometimes I get off a couple of shots before it freezes. Looks like the camera will have to be sent in for repair.

Thanks Marmot, I had a feeling I recognized the problem. After re-reading Ian's thread I don't feel any better about the situation though.

My 40D went the same way the start of this week, would take a max of two or three photos before the error message reappears.

Has already gone for repair, meanwhile using a backup 30D which has taken more shots than the 40D, without any problems.

My 40D went the same way the start of this week, would take a max of two or three photos before the error message reappears.

Has already gone for repair, meanwhile using a backup 30D which has taken more shots than the 40D, without any problems.

Sounds exactly the same problem as mine. I've temporarily borrowed the wife's 400D

Error 99 covers a lot of faults but symptons wise it sounds similar to the problems I had. Taking the battery out and replacing it worked a few times but after that it just stopped working.

The shutter curtain came apart in my 450d this morning and I also got the ERR 99 message.The guy i9n the shop said it will be at least 3 to 4 weeks before I get it back :(.

The only consolation for me was that I found the 400D worked a lot better today than before I bought the 40D - I even got a few reasonably sharp Swallows in flight - so I guess I must be improving as a photographer. :)

Error 99 can indicate many different types of problems, mac.
My first 40D bought in 2007 kissed me with this message after 15,000 shot, 2 months after I bought it. Tried those maneuvers I knew of in vain, I sent it back to Canon Canada. A month later, I got a replacement. They didn't mention what was wrong in the document.

Attached one of the last few shots taken with my 40D - the odd one was missing the bottom of the image.

Guessing it was probably a shutter problem.

Attachments

• SC.jpg
    SC.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 85
Actually things are looking quite good at the moment.
I bought the camera from a company, Kameraexperten, that was legit and had a good reputation at the time but later turned rogue and started defrauding clients by taking their money and then not shipping any goods. It's the biggest Internet shopping scandal in Swedish history. Naturally I was a bit nervous about whether or not Canon would honour their guarantee.
However, Canon's authorized service centre in Stockholm, Intervision, agreed to do a guarantee repair free of charge if I was able to produce a receipt from Kameraexperten, something I was delighted to do. Kameraexperten had a 3 year guarantee so I feel much more secure as I bought the camera on 13th June last year
My wife took the camera in today. The turnaround is currently 3 weeks. In the meantime I can borrow my wife's 400D.

Got a notification that the camera was repaired yesterday and my wife collected it today. They replaced the shutter mechanism.
The camera seems fine but I have to reset all the settings.
It took exactly 3 weeks so I'm more than happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back