• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Depth of Field (1 Viewer)

gkw

Does anyone know or have a depth of field calculator for scopes please.

Does anyone know the DOF for the ED111(800mm) with a 30x e.p?

Many thanks

The EDIII has a focal length of 420mm and the 30x Wide MC eyepiece has a focal length of 14mm. We know the magnification but DoF is still infinitely variable with target distance. Really the only way to be precise is for you to take measurements. Best I can do is predict a range.

If I had to guesstimate a DoF range, I'd say ~1-6cm at close focus distance of 5m, ~0.5-1m at 40m expanding to ~2.5-6m at 100m distance.

Happy 2010!
Rick

Last edited:
Thank you Rick, and a Happy New year to you as well.

It is not as easy as I was thinking!. I was looking through the new Leica Televid APO65 yesterday, and whilst the DOF is wider, it is not really all that much wider than the ED111

Has anyone used the 24xWA on the ED111? Does the extra FOV and presumably wider DOF make it worth getting as an extra to the Zoom and the 30xWA?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back