• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope Eyepiece 20x/30x/38x wide MC (2 Viewers)

w.travis

United States
I just acquired a Fieldscope ED82A with the 25x-75x zoom. What a great scope! I'd like to try the 20x/30x/38x wide MC fixed eyepiece.

Anybody have one interested in selling? I put out a WTB thread in the classifieds. Thought I'd post here in the Nikon forum incase some don't check the classifieds.

Thank you,
Travis

I just acquired a Fieldscope ED82A with the 25x-75x zoom. What a great scope! I'd like to try the 20x/30x/38x wide MC fixed eyepiece.

Anybody have one interested in selling? I put out a WTB thread in the classifieds. Thought I'd post here in the Nikon forum incase some don't check the classifieds.
That eyepiece may well be difficult to find. People who've got it tend to hang on to it ... As an alternative you might want to look a the 16x/24x/30x DS eyepiece. Somewhat easier to find, and optically excellent as well. Since I switched to glasses I actually prefer the DS eyepieces.

Hermann

These are both 38x on an 82ed, but I believe the second one is older as it doesn't show the 50ed option. Is that correct? Would they both have same coatings and performance?

Is one better than the other?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20231220-091307_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231220-091255_Chrome.jpg

That eyepiece may well be difficult to find. People who've got it tend to hang on to it ... As an alternative you might want to look a the 16x/24x/30x DS eyepiece. Somewhat easier to find, and optically excellent as well. Since I switched to glasses I actually prefer the DS eyepieces.

Hermann

Coincidentally there’s currently one up for sale on UK eBay.

Thanks for your replies guys. Happen to have any insight on my previous post?

You could try adapting some astronomical eyepieces.
Using a Svbony 20mm 68 degree SWA on my ED50 and ED82.
Very sharp image and works out as 26.25X on the ED82

Thanks for your replies guys. Happen to have any insight on my previous post?
Sorry, I had overlooked that post. Both should be fine as long as they're not damaged. Optically I don't think you'll see any difference between the two.

We've got two versions in the family, one of them the first version of the eyepiece, still with a rubber eyecup and simple coatings. My mother has been using it for ~30 years on her EDII. Mine is much newer. I think I can just about see some very slight difference between the eyepieces, with the old eyepiece having slightly lower contrast. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use that eyepiece as my main WA. It's that good.

And the older of the eyepieces shown in your pictures is much newer than my mother's, with multicoating.

Hermann

Sorry, I had overlooked that post. Both should be fine as long as they're not damaged. Optically I don't think you'll see any difference between the two.

We've got two versions in the family, one of them the first version of the eyepiece, still with a rubber eyecup and simple coatings. My mother has been using it for ~30 years on her EDII. Mine is much newer. I think I can just about see some very slight difference between the eyepieces, with the old eyepiece having slightly lower contrast. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use that eyepiece as my main WA. It's that good.

And the older of the eyepieces shown in your pictures is much newer than my mother's, with multicoating.

Hermann
Thank you Hermann!

You could try adapting some astronomical eyepieces.
Using a Svbony 20mm 68 degree SWA on my ED50 and ED82.
Very sharp image and works out as 26.25X on the ED82
That is interesting and I was wondering if there were any other eyepieces out there that will work. Is there a special adapter I should look at?

Wondered about the Bosma 30x on the the 82ed

I was thinking of ordering the Bosma 30X as well.
The SVbony 20mm 68 degree wide angle eyepiece is working really well so I'll prob stick with that for now.
You can get aluminium adapter threads made, I managed to 3d print some adapters, seem to working well so far.
Take a look the ED50 thread just below this one in the Nikon forum, pretty sure all the adapted eyepieces for the ED50 will work well in the ED82 as well.
Also ordered the SVbony 6mm wide angle eyepiece to try, will give me approx 95X, hope it works well for some astronomy viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back