• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please re: Canon A95 with Swarovski Scope (1 Viewer)

safariranger

Hi, I must apologise if the answer to the question has been covered several times before, but I seem to have read a lot of threads, and still need more advice.

Having just purchased the Swarovski ATS80HD, I am now looking for the best camera for digiscoping purposes. There are a lot of very good reviews on the powershot A95, and my question is: are there any other cameras that would be considered a better option?
Can someone please advise me on what the necessary attachments are for connecting the A95 to the Swa's Scope. Also is there a specific shutter release cable for this camera?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,
The Canon A95 is a good solid digiscoping camera (now superceded by the A620, no 100% details on that from a digiscoping viewpoint at present).
First thing in attaching this to a scope is to purchase a small adapter, to give a thread just in front of the lens to allow attachment of the main digiscoping adapter... Canon produce the LA-D52D that provides a 52mm thread (too large a thread for most digiscoping adapters), a more suitable item is the Lensmate adapter that provides a 37mm thread http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/A95A80.html

Then you will need the main digiscoping adapter, and Swarovski's own DCA should be ideal (this comes with 28mm, 37,, 52mm threads...so you could use the Canon LA-D52D, though the lensmate is still best choice).

You can purchase a cable-release bracket for the A95, I have some details HERE

Regards,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the valuable info. I will have to see where I can sourse the lensmate adapter here in Johannesburg, South Africa, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Do you know if there is also the option of a remote shutter release? If not then I am sure the bracket mentioned above will do the trick.

Regards

Robert
www.safarirangers.com

I'm sure there is no Canon remote shutter-release available for these cameras... you will need to buy a third-party bracket.
I've used I.R. remotes supplied with a few cameras that I have tested for digiscoping... none of them were as responsive or reliable as a manual cable-release.

cheers,
Andy

As always, Andy's advice is spot on. Be aware that not everyone prefers a remote shutter release. Some people find that they get better shots bracing the camera/scope gently but firmly by hand. Try for yourself and see which method suits you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back