• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many fledglings are killed by dogs ? (1 Viewer)

osborne

It is often said that birds are relying on gardens for feeding, breeding and shelter more often than in the past. It is well documented how often cats kill birds. I was wondering how often dogs kill tiny fledglings just out of the nest ? I ask because sadly a tiny fledgling was killed in our back garden by our family pet ( a dog ) this afternoon. I think it was a Dunnock. Tried to save the bird but it was hopeless as it was so tiny. Do many dog attacks on fledglings go unreported ? Is there a higher incidence of dog related bird deaths than previously thought ? Or was my discovery today a thankfully rare scenario ? Does anyone know ?

Interesting question. I am happy to say, that I have not run into this. Not that it doesn't happen on occasion, I am sure. I am surrounded by fledglings and my pooch will go investigate and sniff but that's about it. Usually it is him that lets me know there is a fledgling close by but thankfully, he shows no interest in the babes. Now pigeons are another story. He loves to run after them but more for the chase.

My family dog with I was a boy (she was a samoyed) used to occasionally catch and "play with" baby birds. I recall a Mockingbird and a Scrub jay. The birds did not survive, of course, and we used to scold her for this. Of course by the time we intervened in these tragedies, she had no idea, really, why we were so upset.

Otherwise, I have been a dog owner just about constantly my whole life and I can't think of a single incident in which one of my dogs actually caught a baby bird. They will chase them to see them fly, but they just don't have the hunting acumen and skills that a housecat naturally posseses.

So my point is that it's certain that dogs will catch and kill fledglings on occasion, but I cannot believe this is a particularly common occurrence or a major "issue." Moreover, keep in mind that dogs are restricted to their owners' property, unlike cats, which are allowed to roam freely throughout a neighborhood.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back