• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worried about a Blackbird nest (1 Viewer)

Valkien

Hello there - forgive me for diving straight in without introducing myself but I wonder if someone could advise me on an urgent matter. (I've tried RSPB and the RSPCA but impossible to get through to them).

We only discovered we had a blackbirds nest in our overgrown hedge when my husband clipped some foliage away near it. He stopped immediately, and the female who had remained stoically on her eggs, remained sitting for some hours afterwards.

The problem is that the hedge is on our side alley (the hedge is on the boundary between us and our neighbours so there's a fair amount of traffic and although we've attempted to keep clear of it, I have a horrible feeling she may have deserted as I can't see her sitting there now. I checked the nest from a distance and there are some eggs in it. Do females ever leave the eggs for any other reason? If so, is there anything I can do before it's too late - although the eggs may already be cold.

If so, I feel terrible about it - wouldn't have dreamt of disturbing her for the world.

Thank you for any advice. The only up side seems to be on another thread that mentioned that blackbirds can have several broods a year, so I don't feel a TOTAL murderess!

Hi Valkien and welcome to Birdforum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
I'm afraid there's nothing you can do - just try and curb your concern to keep checking the nest.
I think a valuable lesson can be learned by all gardeners from this thread - look before you trim.

Hello Valkien and on behalf of the staff here at Birdforum.net, a warm welcome to you.

Do nothing. I know this sounds callous but, to me, the fact that she remained with the nest even after this intrusion shows that there might be some hope for the nest. Even if not, there would be little you could do for the abandoned eggs if in fact, they are abandoned. Please don't beat yourself up over this. It was an accident and that's exactly how you have to look at it. Do let us know what the coming week reveals though.

Thank you both so much for coming back to me quickly. We're avoiding that area (going through the house instead of using the alley, though of course we can't speak for our neighbours). Yes, you're quite right, a lesson to be learnt here - we have a long hedge line with a variety of bushes in it as well as clematis over the house (which we'll avoid cutting back until end summer now, in case there are birds in that).

In future, we'll only cut the hedges before or after the nesting period ends - when is that? About August maybe? Even though we have to fight our way through the jungle!

Thank you as well for you kind consideration - It will sadden me enormously if she doesn't come back but what will be will be. HOpefully, once the hedge has grown again (she was in an elder bush) she or other birds will be emboldened to return.

If she doesn't return, I presume I simply leave the eggs and nest where they are?

I shall keep you posted as to any developments, and shall look forward to introducing myself as I SHOULD have done in the first place had I not been frantically panicking! :)

Well I'll welcome you now, Valkien - I'm just sorry that your first message had to be a plea for help. This was not your fault at all, and all may still be well - you hear of so many people who wilfully destroy nests without a thought or care, and this was certainly not the case with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back