• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fallen bluetit nestbox. Help! (1 Viewer)

PenriJ

United Kingdom
Hello

I’m hoping for some advice. We have a bluetit nestbox hung up in our back yard and for the 3rd year in a row we have a nest with some eggs in there. However, disaster struck this evening as I threw my dog the ball and he managed to hit it in the air directly towards the nestbox and knocked it off the wall. It landed on some flowers below, and I put it back up as soon as it happened. My partner had a quick look through the hole and the mother is in there and promptly warned her off, but she managed to spy 7 eggs that appeared intact. At least one was to the side of the box, not in the nest itself, and so far there is no sign of the father returning. Is there anything we can do, other than leave them alone? Will a bluetit mother rearrange the position of the eggs, so that she brings the displaced egg back into the centre of the nest? Sorry for rambling, but we’re both so sad and I (and the dog hopefully) feel guilty!

Thanks

I would give it some time and don't keep checking on it because it will probably make the parent(s) leave the nest.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Hi Penri and a warm welcome from me too. I agree with KC, leave them alone now and hopefully all will be well. Please let us know what happens with this nesting attempt.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Yes I agree to some extent to leave alone for now but you can check in on the nest just to make sure things haven’t gone wrong if you need to. There’s guidelines you have to follow set out by the British Ornithology but you’re just making sure all is ok. But I would leave alone for now, observe if normal behaviour is going on ie: Dad is still coming to the nest with food for mom while she sits on her eggs waiting to hatch. It’s a waiting game, just keep your eye on things, and hopefully you’ll have a successful nest. Our fingers are crossed. Keep us boated, and have a guilt-free ball game with your lovey dog :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back