• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

possible Horned Lark (1 Viewer)

wild warbler

Hi,

This lark was found on the shore at Askernish, South Uist yesterday. It appears to show features that resemble Horned Lark having restricted yellow (to the throat) and a rather rich colour to the breast sides and neck. Any thoughts?

more photos on www.western-isles-wildlife.com

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• shore_lark_2014_3c.jpg
    shore_lark_2014_3c.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 979
Needs trapped, biometrics taken as well as any loose feathers collected for DNA purposes if this is to go further I would imagine. I seem to remember a well watched Scillies bird that never got past the starting line!

Needs trapped, biometrics taken as well as any loose feathers collected for DNA purposes if this is to go further I would imagine. I seem to remember a well watched Scillies bird that never got past the starting line!
That bird was a bit more yellow on the cheeks than the Unst bird. Some American birds look unidentifiable (in a European context) to me. A thorough analysis of autumn-plumaged Shore Larks is probably required...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back