• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian or Great Cormorant help pls. S Thailand, Mar 15, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, in the attached photos there are several cormorants with quite a white throat patch and yellow gular skin. Apologies for the lack of sharpness in the photos but I think the side of the face and throat and gular skin come through clearly enough:). Which I think suggests Great Cormorant. However, the heads of these birds are quite round, which suggests Indian. Indian is uncommon and Great, at least recently, would be quite rare. In the last photo (188c) there is one to the right with that facial colouring and a flatter head, but the one in the center appears to me to bee quite round

There are a number of these, amongst a flight of Little Cormorants and I think some black faced Indian (just to the left of the "centered" questionable cormorant with the round head and relatively large size ). Can Indian Cormorants in non-breeding plumage show so much white and yellow? Nothing in my field guides or in looking through Macaulay images suggests that. But the heads are clearly not flat either. So I am stuck:) If pressed, I would say Indian, but I then would be unable to explain why the face/neck/gular colouring.

Taken March 15, 2023 in a very large marshy and diked area in Songkhla Province, South Thailand.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and corrections to my line of thinking.
steve

Attachments

• DSCN2862.JPG
    DSCN2862.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2864.JPG
    DSCN2864.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2865.JPG
    DSCN2865.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN2866.JPG
    DSCN2866.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • fullsizeoutput_1885.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1885.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 21
  • fullsizeoutput_188c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_188c.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I would've said "no" but if we believe the multiple Macauley images identified as Indian then I'm forced to say "yes"

Thanks very much The Fern for the quick response. Perhaps the white would go further up the face on a Great? Anyways, Indian is quite uncommon here but i have seen them before. In fact I asked on here for confirmation about a year ago on a small group of Indian cormorants. But the white and yellow just stood out so much more on these that I was wondering.
thanks again
steve

The books seem to just fail on immature Indian cormorant (eg this underpart pattern must be worth something). I wonder if the new Seabirds is any use? I suspect that's what these birds must be - chiefly because the bills look so thin - but, in saying that, I'm acutely aware that low photo-quality and fuzziness (no offence) inherently make thin things look thinner than they are.

Thank you everyone for your comments. In quickly going through all of the articles it does seem that Great would have a different shape to the white patch and yellow (or red) gular skin. As Raefel noted, what I have been able to find shows that on Great the white areav seems to be a larger patch going up the face. I will go through the articles in more detail tomorrow, so thank you everyone for that.
And thank you all for taking the time to look and provide such thoughtful comments on what are fuzzy photos (and almost all if not all of the cormorants in question have their bills open so difficult to tell thickness.
Thank you all again
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back