• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Printing (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
Can I ask for a bit of help printing. Had some images printed at Jessops and whilst OK there are not a 100% (and I didn't expect them to be, good vlaue for the cost). Are there any recommendations for either online printers or where I can send the files to. I'm more interested in the final quality than the cost. For the number of prints I want it is not economical to buy a decent printer.

Many thanks.

Phil

Can I ask, once you've got your prints home, how do you display them?

Album, framed, mounted?

To date I have never had any printed, always use slideshow on TV and I don't intend stopping that. Just wanted to get some prints done of better photographs, have them mounted and see what they look like. Have had a couple of the ones that I had printed at Jessops mounted and they look good.

If there are any that look ok may put some on the wall, although I may have a problem with that considering all the other bird art on the wall (sadly prints not originals) and previous comments of 'you are not putting any more bird pictures on the wall'.

Some printers can be hooked straight into your router via ethernet cable, if yours can (you would be able to tell by it having a jack on the back of it that looks like a big phone jack), just plug it into your router and you should be able to access it from any computer on the network.

Some printers can be hooked straight into your router via ethernet cable, if yours can (you would be able to tell by it having a jack on the back of it that looks like a big phone jack), just plug it into your router and you should be able to access it from any computer on the network.

Herrry, thanks for the response. Think may be a confusion on terminology, or I've not made it clear. By online printers I meant a company where you can download the files directly to them for prints to be produced. For the number of prints I want to do I don't want to buy a decent printer as I feel that the purchase cost plus the consumables far outweighs the cost of using a commercial printer. I use a standard laser printer for day to day use. Many thanks for replying.

Regards

Phil

When you say the quality was not consistant in what way do you mean? If its a problem with colours then the problem could be with your equipment not Jessops ( I never thought I'd hear myself say that) If your monitor is not calibrated then the colours you see may not, necessarily, be the colours you get back. There are a lot of printing companies out there some are good, some are bad and some are indifferent but but if you don't have a calibrated system then I would recommend using a company that will colour correct your prints for you this usually adds a little to the cost but is worth it.

When you say the quality was not consistant in what way do you mean? If its a problem with colours then the problem could be with your equipment not Jessops ( I never thought I'd hear myself say that) If your monitor is not calibrated then the colours you see may not, necessarily, be the colours you get back. There are a lot of printing companies out there some are good, some are bad and some are indifferent but but if you don't have a calibrated system then I would recommend using a company that will colour correct your prints for you this usually adds a little to the cost but is worth it.

Thanks for the reply. For the cost the Jessops prints are fine. The slight problem is there is an area where I don't like the reproduction. Give that they were only 39p for a 9x6 I didn't have high expectations and in all honesty I'd say they far exceeded what I expected. My monitor hasn't been calibrated which is one of the reasons I was asking for other people's experiences and I'm going to give Peak Processing a go.

Regards

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back