• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch Fieldscope vs Celestron Regal M2 80ED vs Vortex Diamondback - tough choice (3 Viewers)

About to buy my first scope to use at wetlands and beaches where I can't get closer to the birds. Going by what's most recommended in articles and within my budget I have narrowed it down to these three:
  • Nikon Monarch Fieldscope 82ED 20-60x, 82mm angled $1825 10yr warranty
  • Celestron Regal M2 80ED 20-60x, 80mm angled $930 (on ebay store. $1500 in physical shop) 2 yr warranty
  • Vortex Diamondback 20-60x, 85mm angled $890 online store lifetime warranty
(all prices in Australian dollars)

Stats including weight is pretty similar but it sounds like Nikon is the best of these but is it worth twice as much? I had thought to spend up to $2000 total including tripod - not a strict budget but psychologically what feels ok. I also now want a car mount (~$50) and probably a sturdy travel case ($200?). Apparently the Nikon doesn't come with case at all even though reviews say it does.
I haven't really looked into tripods yet except to read I should get a "good" one. Prices in store range from $100 to $3300.

Is it a waste of money to get Monarch if I spend $300 max on a tripod? Should I be spending as much on a tripod as the scope??

The Celestron Regal seems like a good deal (comes with case & T-ring too) but the warranty of only 2 yrs worries me.

Out of Celestron Regal and Vortex Diamondback, is one better than the other?

If I get the Celestron or Vortex, I should be able to get a good tripod and all the accessories and spend no more than $2000 total. Will I be wowed by how much more I can see compared to bin's and 400mm camera, or will I be always frustrated by the a poor quality image and still unable to make out the details required for peep ID?
If the latter I could splash out on the Nikon & good tripod but that's one or two less trips interstate that I can afford

The celestron is better than the Vortex Diamond back , i have compared both theres no contest there . The Regal has a much better objective and comes equipped with a decent zoom ep . The best about the Regal is that you can switch ( upgrade) the eyepiece with any 1.25” astronomical ep . So you can use fixed eyepieces and high end zooms . My favorite is the baader hyperion zoom which upgrades the perfomance of the scope alot . Idk much about the monarch ,it has a apo objective and ive read that its very good .

About to buy my first scope to use at wetlands and beaches where I can't get closer to the birds. Going by what's most recommended in articles and within my budget I have narrowed it down to these three:
  • Nikon Monarch Fieldscope 82ED 20-60x, 82mm angled $1825 10yr warranty
  • Celestron Regal M2 80ED 20-60x, 80mm angled $930 (on ebay store. $1500 in physical shop) 2 yr warranty
  • Vortex Diamondback 20-60x, 85mm angled $890 online store lifetime warranty
(all prices in Australian dollars)

Stats including weight is pretty similar but it sounds like Nikon is the best of these but is it worth twice as much? I had thought to spend up to $2000 total including tripod - not a strict budget but psychologically what feels ok. I also now want a car mount (~$50) and probably a sturdy travel case ($200?). Apparently the Nikon doesn't come with case at all even though reviews say it does.
I haven't really looked into tripods yet except to read I should get a "good" one. Prices in store range from $100 to $3300.

Is it a waste of money to get Monarch if I spend $300 max on a tripod? Should I be spending as much on a tripod as the scope??

The Celestron Regal seems like a good deal (comes with case & T-ring too) but the warranty of only 2 yrs worries me.

Out of Celestron Regal and Vortex Diamondback, is one better than the other?

If I get the Celestron or Vortex, I should be able to get a good tripod and all the accessories and spend no more than $2000 total. Will I be wowed by how much more I can see compared to bin's and 400mm camera, or will I be always frustrated by the a poor quality image and still unable to make out the details required for peep ID?
If the latter I could splash out on the Nikon & good tripod but that's one or two less trips interstate that I can afford
Out of those three, get the Nikon hands down.

But before you do, how much is an Opticron MM4 77mm with SDLv3 eyepiece? If the same price or better, I’d get that instead.

Always recommend to spend as much as possible on a tripod, but if you can’t afford the top tier carbon fiber Manfrotto, Gitzo, RRS, etc. there are always less expensive but just as stable aluminum or different brand carbon fiber tripods available. They will just come with more weight (and less clout to the name), but be just as functional for what you need.

The celestron is $ 849 at b-h photo and a baader hyperion zoom is $309 .. my plan as a beginner was to get a good mid range scope until i was comfortable i wasnt going break it somehow and also to not expensive in case i did . The second part is to buy an alpha scope like the kowa 883 . One thing about the kowa i like is it has an adapter that allows it to accept 1.25” eyepieces and owning the celestron for a while i have a good assortment of high quality eyepieces . The celestron while not an alpha scope is very good and probably the best mid-range scope avaiable . ( not including opticron ,if its considered a mid range scope ) Albinos reveiwed the previous version and ranks it higher than the pentax .

In the USA BH Photo Video is selling the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85 scope for $699. I have not been impressed with the Vortex Diamondback binoculars I hav bought and returned. I would step up to the Viper HD model.

Sadly you are too far away as I’m offering for sale my 2 year old gently used 82ED. It’s just too powerful for what I want to do. If you decide on the Nikon you won’t be disappointed.
Mine came with the zippered cover which is a pain, and I also acquired the car window mount which is well worth the money.

The eye relief of the 20-60x zoom eyepiece contracts significantly as you increase the magnification. It probably will be a deal breaker with the 20-60x eyepiece if you wear spectacles. If you don't wear spectacles, the monarch is a solid choice.

Henry Link's eye relief measurements are:

20x - 16mm

35-40x - 11mm

60x - 12mm

Measurements were taken from the eyecup rim. From the eye lens glass the eye relief is about 2mm longer.

The 30-60x wide angle eyepiece has better useable eye relief for spectacle wearers at the cost of losing the 20x magnification and being more expensive. I got the zippered soft cover for free when I bought the 60mm scope and 20-60x eyepiece as the default set. Soft cover may not be included if scope body and different eyepiece are bought separately.

I am of the opinion that the Celestron Regal M2 definitely is not worth $1500 and maybe not even $930. The Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 is comparable to the nikon monarch with a 27-60x wide angle zoom in performance but it costing an extra AUD$1000 is ridiculous.

The Diamondback HD has the worst false colours that I've ever seen in a scope - and not just at the edges. There are similar comments from others on this forum and in online reviews. Obviously not all HD's are equal.

I demo'd a few Vortex scopes last autumn and thought the Viper and Razor were comparable in all respects, optically, other than the Razor having a wider FOV (these were 65mm class models).

I gather that the Razor might also be made from components made in Japan, but it's unclear as to whether it is then assembled in the USA or elsewhere. Sub-Razor Vortex scopes are made in China (please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong).

The Diamondback HD has the worst false colours that I've ever seen in a scope - and not just at the edges. There are similar comments from others on this forum and in online reviews. Obviously not all HD's are equal.

I demo'd a few Vortex scopes last autumn and thought the Viper and Razor were comparable in all respects, optically, other than the Razor having a wider FOV (these were 65mm class models).

I gather that the Razor might also be made from components made in Japan, but it's unclear as to whether it is then assembled in the USA or elsewhere. Sub-Razor Vortex scopes are made in China (please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong).
The second generation Razor spotters with the helical focus are assembled in the USA.

I believe they are built on the same platform as the Meopta Meopro Zeiss Conquest Gavia (and probably others). The Zeiss Gavia is clearly marked made in Japan.

The eye relief of the 20-60x zoom eyepiece contracts significantly as you increase the magnification. It probably will be a deal breaker with the 20-60x eyepiece if you wear spectacles. If you don't wear spectacles, the monarch is a solid choice.

Henry Link's eye relief measurements are:

20x - 16mm

35-40x - 11mm

60x - 12mm

Measurements were taken from the eyecup rim. From the eye lens glass the eye relief is about 2mm longer.

The 30-60x wide angle eyepiece has better useable eye relief for spectacle wearers at the cost of losing the 20x magnification and being more expensive. I got the zippered soft cover for free when I bought the 60mm scope and 20-60x eyepiece as the default set. Soft cover may not be included if scope body and different eyepiece are bought separately.

I am of the opinion that the Celestron Regal M2 definitely is not worth $1500 and maybe not even $930. The Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 is comparable to the nikon monarch with a 27-60x wide angle zoom in performance but it costing an extra AUD$1000 is ridiculous.
The eye relief data you give here, is that for the Nikon or for all 20-60x eyepieces? The figures I found quoted by shops was 16mm for Monarch, 20mm for Celestron Regal, 18-20 for Diamondback. I use glasses to spot the birds. I use binoculars with and without glasses. So long eye relief is preferable but not essential

The Viper is about the same price as the Monarch but Viper is 2.17kg compared to others at 1.6-1.7kg, that's significant increase in weight. The Razor is twice the price of Viper and Monarch - equivalent to the cost of 2 weeks overseas birding trip!

I think I'll get Celestron Regal M2 80ED and spend the extra $1000 on birding trips

The ER is for the nikon monarch's 20-60 zoom eyepiece (MEP 20-60). It's rubber eyecup does not protrude out slightly in the down position which will make the metal around the lenses scratch your glasses while pressing against it to reduce a lot of the wasted AFOV at high magnifications. Can be remedied easily by tying a 1mm+ string under the eyecup though.

Have you considered the Svbony SV406 scope which also accepts astronomical eyepieces? That might be a viable option and there are user reviews and evaluations here at BF. My main concern with the Regal scope is its build quality wrt to its price.

I have the Nikon with the 30 - 60X eyepiece. I haven't personally compared the two but from what I have read the 20 - 60 is considerably inferior, although also cheaper.

The Viper is about the same price as the Monarch but Viper is 2.17kg compared to others at 1.6-1.7kg, that's significant increase in weight. The Razor is twice the price of Viper and Monarch - equivalent to the cost of 2 weeks overseas birding trip!
If the weight is important - did you consider getting a smaller scope, like the Monarch 60 ED? The combination of the 60 with the 30-60x (24-48x on the 60) eyepiece is quite brilliant.

Hermann

Hi,

great to hear that. Please take some time to test its optical quality inside the return period if you bought online. Either by doing a star test (real or artificial star) or at least try it in good seeing (early morning or on a cool overcast day) and see if you can get a crisp view at 60x with a distinct and easy to find point of best focus.

Enjoy the view,

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back