• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North-East Scotland (1 Viewer)

DJ Sideboard

Anyone got any tips for me on seawatching from the Grampian coast (Sites, weather, timing)?

I occasionally try from Girdleness (Aberdeen), but it is very disappointing.....

DJ Sideboard said:
Anyone got any tips for me on seawatching from the Grampian coast (Sites, weather, timing)?

I occasionally try from Girdleness (Aberdeen), but it is very disappointing.....

Not really. I seawatch from newtonhill, south of A/deen. I used to think it was very disappointing, but then I lowered my expectations so now I think it's dead good.

Martin

I've noticed that a few good things have been seen from Fraserburgh and Rosehearty. A bit far away for me though (I don't have a car). Is Girdle Ness really that bad?

DJ Sideboard said:

I think Fraserburgh is probably one of the best points due to it position right on the far NE corner. I would expect more to pass by there close in shore than any other location. It is almost the equivalent of being out on an Island.
Shame about the town though, sorry to be blunt but it IS an absolute dump and one of the worst towns I have ever had the misfortune to visit. Even with the prospect of a superb seawatch, visiting there on a windswept autumn day is not one of the most exciting days out.

I think it is still pretty underwatched, not surprising really.

JP

Last edited:
DJ Sideboard said:

I used to quite like Girdleness, plenty of Skuas, Little Auk very occasionally and the odd shearwater. Fraserburgh is undoubtedly better but if you can't get there that's really pretty irrelevant. Also Girdleness usually has quite a few migrants at the right times of the year (saw my first Icky there and even found it myself!). Plus there are usually porpoises and sometimes dolphins to keep you entertained if the birding is a bit quiet.

Nick

Girdleness is as good as anywhere on the coast of North-East Scotland. Sure it can be disappointing but so can seawatching anywhere else. Any strongish winds with some onshore component can be worth a look. Fraserburgh is also good - in some years good numbers of Storm Petrels occur off there in broad daylight, and I'm convinced that it could turn-up a Wilson's Petrel if someone put in enough effort.

Thanks for the responses, chaps.

Looks like some jaunts up to Fraserburgh are in order, given a northerly element to the wind. I guess a big advantage in watching from the North Coast is that you aren't looking directly into the sun in the morning.

Why has nobody mentioned Rattray Head? You can always take a swing round Strathbeg if things are grim over the briney................

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back