• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (15 Viewers)

The glauc is a big pale 1st or 2nd year...I saw it from Wellington Bridge. Looked dark eyed through bins.

Nice one Teamscotch (presuming you must be Chris Bingham on ABZ), a nice bird and great that Aberdeen has had its second Glauc in two consecutive winters. Fingers crossed it will stick around and wander into the 'Torry Region' in the next few days.

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Just read ABZ emails and this bird was seen by others yesterday and this morning...bah! I checked up to Victoria Bridge from the ness side yesterday evening and then gave up...!

Would have been great photo opportunities from the rowing club today. Hope you see it and get some good snaps, would be nice to clinch its age.

BTW, can local types tell me what district the rowing club is in? I always assumed up to Wellington bridge was still Torry?

Cheers, Phil.

(It's just been pointed out to me that what I have I have called Wellington Bridge is QE2 bridge, Wellington being the old suspension bridge next to it - duh!)

Last edited:
Hi Joseph,

Just read ABZ emails and this bird was seen by others yesterday and this morning...bah! I checked up to Victoria Bridge from the ness side yesterday evening and then gave up...!

Would have been great photo opportunities from the rowing club today. Hope you see it and get some good snaps, would be nice to clinch its age.

BTW, can local types tell me what district the rowing club is in? I always assumed up to Wellington bridge was still Torry?

Cheers, Phil.

(It's just been pointed out to me that what I have I have called Wellington Bridge is QE2 bridge, Wellington being the old suspension bridge next to it - duh!)

I'd say that up to the QE2 Bridge and Wellington Road is all Torry, so I would also say the rowing club and the Glaucous Gull were in Torry. Will have to look out for it - I'd have thought it should pop into the harbour at some stage.

The Glauc still about this evening...flew in about 16.50, then back to old ford road where it was sitting on the fish factory roof. I guess that's what brings it to this part of the river then!

Hello all again, is this a red-throated diver ? , about as close as it came yesterday lunchtime, off the ' Coo ' another one flew south towards Nigg Bay, appeared all white underneath and this silvery grey on top, about cormorant size or thereabouts, thanks again

Jim.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 82
Hello all again, is this a red-throated diver ? , about as close as it came yesterday lunchtime, off the ' Coo ' another one flew south towards Nigg Bay, appeared all white underneath and this silvery grey on top, about cormorant size or thereabouts, thanks again

Jim.

Hi Jim - yes that's a Red-throated Diver. There are usually a few about offshore, although the numbers vary quite a bit.

Thanks Andrew, I'm almost expert now eh ?;) Do you have a specific route for walking round the Ness, or areas for checking. I'm usually just down for a half hour or so at lunchtimes, weather and work permitting, but have a notion to try and make a visit some weekend and spend a more leisurely couple of hours there.

Jim.

Thanks Andrew, I'm almost expert now eh ?;) Do you have a specific route for walking round the Ness, or areas for checking. I'm usually just down for a half hour or so at lunchtimes, weather and work permitting, but have a notion to try and make a visit some weekend and spend a more leisurely couple of hours there.

Jim.

How I do the Ness varies a bit, particularly when there are migrant landbirds around and good birds can be anywhere, but I usually do a circuit starting around the allotments and then along the north bank and Greyhope Bay - sometimes taking in the Battery - and then a bit of a seawatch from the Coo. Then I'll go along the road to look over Nigg Bay and up through the south side of the golf course and back to Torry. Sometimes I'll do things a bit differently though, depending on what I think might be around. The regular circuit usually takes about 1.5-2 hours.

Welcome to BirdForum Andy, and, more importantly, welcome to the Birds fae Torry family. The Brent Goose you saw has been around for a couple of weeks and has been subject to some debate, as you'll see over the past couple of pages of this thread. Not too much else was around today. A Red-throated Diver and Red-breasted Merganser were both in the harbour. There were a resounding, but non-Totaliser-threatening, 207 Purple Sandpipers roosting. Plenty of Kittiwakes and Razorbills were offshore and another Red-throated Diver and a drake Long-tailed Duck were in Nigg Bay. I heard a Siskin going over, but couldn't get onto it.

I have never seen a Red-throated Diver before so was very pleased to get a good view of one in the harbour (from the office window) today. Do they hang around in the summer (it would be nice to see the red throat)?

I have never seen a Red-throated Diver before so was very pleased to get a good view of one in the harbour (from the office window) today. Do they hang around in the summer (it would be nice to see the red throat)?

Although they don't breed, you can potentially see Red-throated Divers throughout the year in this area, so you should see a few with red-throats.

Got some really good shots of the Red-throated Diver in the harbour today. No sign of the Brent Goose today. Included a thumbnail of one of my shots. Can anyone help id the top right bird in this shot. Taken at Girdleness Lighthouse today. Thought it might be a juv Male Eider but might have the wrong head shape for this?

Attachments

• IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
A 1st winter Glaucous Gull was on the river by the Victoria Bridge this morning. It was quite a pale looking bird, so maybe the same one that was reported a few weeks ago. It was soon flying off upstream.

That's much the best bird I've seen over the past few weeks - it's been a bit duff otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back