• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300/2.8 First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Hi folks, I really do want one, I have the 500 f4 and its a cracking lens but now the 7D has come into the equation. Lens or Camera? that is the question.

Martin

Well I suppose that depends on what your current camera is. If you get a 300mm f2.8 though how will you decide which one to take out? 8-P ;)

Seriously, unless you really need the f2.8 for some lowlight work then why bother? You can get the camera and then use the left over money on something like a 70-200mm instead.

Mine's quite some way off yet. Won't be October at the earliest I reckon before I get my grubby mits on one. Which also reminds me, did you get yours off Kerso Roy?

Which also reminds me, did you get yours off Kerso Roy?
I did get a quote from Kerso but bought the second hand one that was on BF a few weeks ago, about three year old but absolutely mint.

The more I use this lens the more I like it. Tried out a new Gimbal today with Stacked 1.4 tc's on board - the colours from this lens are superb.

Attachments

• robin 1..jpg
    robin 1..jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 243
  • godwit1.jpg
    godwit1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Seriously, unless you really need the f2.8 for some lowlight work then why bother? You can get the camera and then use the left over money on something like a 70-200mm instead.

Mine's quite some way off yet. Won't be October at the earliest I reckon before I get my grubby mits on one. Which also reminds me, did you get yours off Kerso Roy?

Why? It's fast, it's sharp, it takes converters and retains good speed and clarity... and it's sods law the interesting birds always turn up on a day of sh#te and poor light levels... ;) And most important of all, it flatters even a complete novice and photography ignoramus like me - I finally get a decent percentage of photos I'm not ashamed to keep or share with friends.

I got mine from another ebay seller, 10gauge - I believe he gets his lenses from the same supplier as kerso. He's nothing listed at the moment, but am sure he's still open for business were you to give him a call. PM me if you want a number for him - I can't recommend him highly enough - very competitive prices, and excellent customer service.

ce

Why? It's fast, it's sharp, it takes converters and retains good speed and clarity... and it's sods law the interesting birds always turn up on a day of sh#te and poor light levels... ;) And most important of all, it flatters even a complete novice and photography ignoramus like me - I finally get a decent percentage of photos I'm not ashamed to keep or share with friends.

I got mine from another ebay seller, 10gauge - I believe he gets his lenses from the same supplier as kerso. He's nothing listed at the moment, but am sure he's still open for business were you to give him a call. PM me if you want a number for him - I can't recommend him highly enough - very competitive prices, and excellent customer service.

ce

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to get back to you on that once I've got more money together.

As for the rest if you re-read Martin's post he's already got a 500mm f4. I'd certainly say that counts as quality glass!!! An f4 aperture is good enough for any cloudy day but for real first and last light stuff it may not quite be up to it, hence my post.

Well done for getting that bargain Roy. If I'd had the money together I'd certainly have given you some competiton for it! But what was your quote from Ian, I asked a while ago and he said £3150 I think plus £25 P&P, has it changed?

Well done for getting that bargain Roy. If I'd had the money together I'd certainly have given you some competiton for it! But what was your quote from Ian, I asked a while ago and he said £3150 I think plus £25 P&P, has it changed?
Quote was £3250 + £25 Adam.

Last edited:
As much as I would like one Mick I cannot see myself getting one at my age. My shooting style is to go walkabouts and grab my shots as and when they occur - the 300/2.8 is just about my weight limit for carrying around and hand-holding.( I am a frail OAP :-O and I aint going to get any stronger)

Last edited:
As much as I would like one Mick I cannot see myself getting one at my age. My shooting style is to go walkabouts and grab my shots as and when they occur - the 300/2.8 is just about my weight limit for carrying around and hand-holding.( I am a frail OAP :-O and I aint going to get any stronger)

On reflections if I won the lottery I could always employ a porter to carry the gear LOL.
Roy
You must be a big boy if you consider that a walk about lens...I find its heavy, first time I used mine hand held for about 3 hours at Cadwell, I suffered for 3 weeks with a bad shoulder..great lens, had mine now for nearly two years. It works fine with a 2x I find it better to stop down when attaching the 2x. Great sample shots...well done. I use a 300f4 for walk about. The last time I was at Cadwell I attached the 1.4x to my 70-200f2.8 IS, I was quite impressed.
Regards
Roy.
www.royhowell.co.uk

I have just seen one on his ebay shop for £3150, I think a lot depends on the exchange rates at the time.

Yes he did warn me that it can change even within the space of 24hrs. But if he's selling one at that price on Ebay now then his current quote should be a little cheaper than my quote.
Not that it makes any difference to me at this moment in time, when I have the money ready the price will no doubt be higher again. ;)

Roy
I have been off line with computer problems which are still not sorted, but I am pleased as punch you bit the bullet and got this lens....I am sure it will give you many happy hours and some great shots too. I have always rated this lens.

Roy
I have been off line with computer problems which are still not sorted, but I am pleased as punch you bit the bullet and got this lens....I am sure it will give you many happy hours and some great shots too. I have always rated this lens.
Nice to see you back Adrian - I wondered where you had been. Thanks for your encouragement.

Tried the 300 with stacked 1.4 + 2x tc today (840mm). Results exceeded my expectations (see attached).

Attachments

• 840mm _1.jpg
    840mm _1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 170
Roy
That's impressive. Do yo retain af with that combination.

Cheers

Phil
Yep, it still AF'd (albeit sluggishly at times) on my 40D Phil because the camera only sees one of the converters so still thinks it is at f5.6. The AF was certainly better than the 400/5.6 and 1.4tc with pins taped.

Congrats on your new lens, Roy. My greatest compliment to your work already with this dream lens.

Last edited:
Tried the 300 with stacked 1.4 + 2x tc today (840mm). Results exceeded my expectations (see attached).

May I add my congratulations on your early work with your latest pride and joy Roy. Based partly on this thread I've taken the decision to p/x my trusty 400 5.6L for this beauty and it arrives tomorrow ;~)

Now the only problem is telling She Who Must Be Obeyed...

Thanks for the comments Guys :t:

PanamaMan, I hope you find the lens as good as I have, I am sure you will not regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back